LAX to Singapore - Direct !

gobbledonk

OK, Flight Fans, this is history in the making, so read on. The first flight landed in LA earlier today Oz time, as reported on our local news, and is now on its 18.5 hour return journey to Singapore. Can anyone spell 'D-V-T' ?

SIA A345LeaderShip Embarks On Record Breaking Flight

03 February 2004

The Singapore Airlines (SIA) A345LeaderShip will embark on its inaugural ultra long-haul flight from Singapore to Los Angeles today.

Flight SQ20, which will depart from Singapore Changi Airport at 1600hrs and is scheduled to arrive in Los Angeles at 1600hrs local time the same day, will set a new record for the world?s longest non-stop commercial flight.

It will begin its return flight at 2000hrs local time, also on the same day, and is scheduled to land in Singapore, after 18½ hours of flying, at 0640hrs, two days later.

Customers on the A345LeaderShip will travel in style. The spacious cabin has a capacity of 181 seats, 64 in Raffles (business) Class and 117 in SIA?s new Executive Economy.

Raffles Class comes equipped with SIA?s plush SpaceBeds, which have a 64-inch seat pitch, six inches more than SpaceBeds on other SIA aircraft. Amenities include a DVD port in every seat (a first for SIA), a power supply outlet and a video monitor with a 10.4-inch screen, enabling travellers to enjoy KrisWorld, SIA?s inflight entertainment system with over 250 entertainment options.

The 117 seats in SIA?s new Executive Economy Class boast a width of 20 inches, making them the widest in the industry. They also feature a seat pitch of 37 inches and a recline of 8 inches, with a 9-inch personal video monitor, a leather adjustable headrest, an innovative leg and foot rest, and laptop power supply outlets.

Both the Raffles and Executive Economy cabins feature specially designed passenger corners that offer customers an area to stretch their legs and help themselves to snacks and beverages while in flight.

Speaking at a departure ceremony to mark the launch, SIA Chairman Koh Boon Hwee said: ?In all respects, this is a premium product, complemented by premium cabin service. It was designed for the seasoned businessperson, or the more discerning leisure traveller who is prepared to spend a little more to get the best. We believe they will like what we have to offer.?

Mr Huang Cheng Eng, Executive Vice President Marketing and the Regions, said: ?The schedule enables customers travelling in each direction an excellent choice of connecting flights. Those travelling beyond Los Angeles can make convenient connections to virtually all the principal cities in North America, while customers arriving in Singapore can connect to flights around Southeast Asia.?

The A345LeaderShip is the latest aircraft type to join the SIA fleet. SIA will operate it to New York next from mid-2004. The flight will take 18 hours in each direction and can save travellers up to six hours in flight time.

SIA placed an order for 10 A340-500s in 1998 -- five on firm order and five on option -- worth US$2.2 billion, including the cost of spares and spare engines. The aircraft is powered by four Rolls-Royce Trent 553 engines.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw some pictures of the "economy" class seats on this aircraft, still no separate armrests, yuck. Costs about $400.00 more than conventional flights across the Pacific.I hope when the A380 comes out, there are separate armrests in economy class.

I think for the business people, or those that can afford the business class seats, this flight is good for them.

I do like stopping at Narita from LAX, take a shower, stretch my legs a bit, buy some noodles, then reboard for part II, Narita to Bangkok. I actually like the layovers, makes the flight seem shorter :) by breaking it into segments.

Whitney said:

I do like stopping at Narita from LAX, take a shower, stretch my legs a bit, buy some noodles, then reboard for part II, Narita to Bangkok. I actually like the layovers, makes the flight seem shorter :) by breaking it into segments.

Buy some noodles?!? My dear boy go to SQ's silver Kris lounge at NRT and they offer free noodles, dim sum, sushi, fruit, sandwiches and plenty of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages!! They also have free internet stations.

Everytime I have a long layover I crash in their lounge

If flying Korean Air, I like the showers which are almost within sight of the arrival gate at Narita, 300 yen 30 minutes, excellent setup. LAX needs it.

There's a small restaurant right nearby too. I always carry yen with me when I have the layover at Narita. Saves time not having to walk to currency exchange, usually 2 hour layover.

I wish it were a law that showers be provided for a reasonable price to travelers at major airports ::

SQ's silver Kris lounge at NRT, thats frequent flyers only?

But are we really getting there any faster (LOS)? Not much if any.

No. The flight to Singapore alone takes about as long as the best connections to Bangkok. But the schedule still ain't bad, depart 8PM and arrive BKK at 10:50 AM. Great if you're traveling to Singapore, or beyond, though. I was thinking of trying it on Friday on a free pass, but my itinerary changed. I wanted to see if the coach seats made enough difference to offset the extra flying time. I never take sleeping pills, but I could probably use one on that flight. Next trip, maybe.

Saw something in the press about some kind of (paranoid, IMO) US security regulation banning onboard congregations on flights to/from the US, for example queing up for the loos. I wonder where SQ feels their little standing areas (like a bar without stools - just a place to stand and set your drink) onboard this new aircraft stand with regard to that reg. :dunno:

If they don't take it seriously, I wouldn't blame them.

Archived