LAX to Singapore - Direct !

gobbledonk

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the polar route makes all the difference

Hi USV,

Call me a pessimist, but I dont relish the thought of flying over *either* polar ice cap. I'm not sure how it is at 30,000 feet, but the North and South Poles are home to some of the wildest weather on the planet. Its a few years since a flight out of NZ crashed into Mt Erebus, but it cant have been pleasant. I guess hurtling into the ocean off the coast of Japan wouldnt be a picnic either : man, I'm really thinking happy thoughts this afternoon, arent I ? ::

Hi Art,

Well, I'm not exactly comfortable with the idea of crashing into the Bearing Straits, or anywhere for that matter. I really don't know anything about the weather at 30K feet, as I'm not a pilot.

Regards Erebus, my uncle was invited on that flight but insisted one of his employees go instead. :( I went to work for TE shortly after the accident, and the staff were devastated. Many of their co-workers, business suppliers and best customers were onboard that flight. Seems that it all stemmed from a flight plan screw up in Auckland rather than weather though.

I doubt it because Thai demands much more $ for LAX->NRT than it does LAX->NRT->BKK. Go figure

The Japan-US published tariffs are highly regulated, but in the real world Thai have the lowest fares in the neighborhood of $400 for a coach seat round trip LAX-TYO. Saturated market, and schedule, service and loyalty drive the high end customer and Thai doesn't have a chance.

I thought I posted this earlier. I must have been too... :drunk:

"I'm not sure how it is at 30,000 feet, but the North and South Poles are home to some of the wildest weather on the planet. "

LOL. Makes no difference what surface weather is at 30K+. Besides, how many people have ever survived a crash of an airliner from cruising altitude?

This certainly turned into a uplifting thread.

TH

Wurgie, I wuz just going to post that. They fly triple 7s. When living in HKG a couple of years ago I took that one more often than I care to remember. What crap service!

Each flight outta HKG seemed to be the baby express with newly adpoted Chinese girl babies going to the States. Now that is all well and good, but the new parents had no clue how to deal with their charges. One one started crying, thay all did :o. So bleeding loud that even the headphones at full volume count not drown them out. Ford 16 fcuking hours. They had 6 hosties on the flight. After the dinner service, only one was awake. No answer to repeated presses of the call button. I had to wander to the galley everytime I wanted a Scotch (which was about every 12 minutes with all those screaming brats :drunk::D:). This happened on every flight I took on that route :(.

BTW, Ernie's a tosser, so I will be posting here more.

Cheers,

SD

LOL. Makes no difference what surface weather is at 30K+. Besides, how many people have ever survived a crash of an airliner from cruising altitude?

Granted - I was thinking more of a single engine failure forcing a belly-landing somewhere on the polar icecap, or does that only happen in movies ? Not sure how well any pilot would fare trying to put a 747 down in jungle, for that matter, but they did a great job with large transport planes on small airfields in the New Guinea highlands during WWII. I suspect that a DC-10 is about half the size of a 747, but I'd still prefer to stagger from the wreckage to see palm trees than glaciers.

Over water, its all the same - may as well be concrete when an aircraft comes in at speed.

Archived