Breaking News. Work = More Money Than Welfare

Straycat

It must be very frustrating for Swedish people that work to receive the same amounts as those that dont work. Unless people are disabled or old ( in which case they should receive a lot) then any female unemployed longer than 6 months should be forced to work in a state run prostitutuion camp and any male unemployed for longer than 6 months should be executed and their organs harvested and given to more deserving citizens...

STH

sorry, there's no english link that i'm aware of (i actually went on a search on bbc and google news).

in a nutshell: the article says that a study conducted between 1991 and 2003 shows that it's getting more profitable to take low salary work than chosing welfare. today a single mother with two kids receive 20 % more money by working a low level job than going on wellfare. in the beginning of the nineties it was an advantage only by 8 %

i think the whole thing so screwed up I can't believe it. it's not that I'm against wellfare -- but more that it's so worthless to actually work as an employed in Sweden (unless you're in the right job or top brass, of course)

I guess it's also a matter mentality -- otherwise it wouldn't have made news. Apparantly no one thougth things were strange already in 1991? ::

Welfare was out of control in Canada in the early nineties, there were even a few high profile cases where they showed some single mothers earning a high wage would make even more on welfare, but that has changed a lot now.

Most areas have reduced benefits and forced many people off the welfare rolls, but there is still a lot of abuse.

Unless you are mentally handicapped or unable to work due to illness or injury, there is not much sympathy from the working class, nor should there be.

GB still seems to have some major 'welfare state' issues, as does OZ. Welfare recipients are an easy target, but its the system which allows them to exploit the taxpayer which really annoys the shit out of me.

I didnt see the episode, but a friend told me that a recent (here in Oz, anyway..) episode of the Brit 'wife-swap' show (no, I dont remember its real name) had two couples, one working and the other collecting welfare. The working couple had to survive on 27K, whilst the couple on welfare were receiving 37K. I know that being on the dole is no picnic, but there is a definite incentive for people to pop out more kids in order to get more benefits, at least in Oz and Britain.

>>>but there is a definite incentive for people to pop out more kids in order to get more benefits, at least in Oz and Britain. <<<

Couldn't agree with you more Artiew.

In my own street, for example, there are families claiming welfare (all of which are IMHO capable of working), and doing cash in hand jobs here and there, netting a hell of a lot more than me and my family on a monthly basis.

Thats with me holding a fairly well paid middle management position (well for the industry I am in anyway), and the wife working part time to help out with the pocket money etc for our 3 kids.

Damned frustrating if you asked me.

But like you said, if the loopholes wasn't there to be found then it wouldn't be happening.

Archived