New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in related thread, you posted that:

"I would not be surprised to see 1000 baht barfines and girls asking and getting 3-4000 in the 'zones'."

------------------------------------

I doubt it.

This whole thing, if standing, would rather put a damp on earnings, therefore, unless concerted/union-like actions (which never happened, the market forces just play out) by said-girls, and the arrival of a new sort of sex tourists changing the whole game upward$, liking their sex timed and predicktable, the bars will stay a modest course on adjusting prices

Come to think of it, a new crop of ignorant moneyed sex starving tourists will most likely raise the prices up more than a decision from the trade (demand fixing the prices). i hope no one recognizes himself on this board.

Fight for your "whoring" buck, brothers and sisters........ ::

I see the bars becoming a show type of thing where people go to gawk and those newbies or the wealthy will actually pay the barfine of 1k and 3k all night or whereabouts. The stock will probably be stunner quality and the rest of the 7s and below will probably be marketing their wares on the street. In that case the punter will be facing a buyers market. I think that structure will lead to a lot of street violence and a lack of regulation where things start to get a bit uneasy, a feeling I never really had before when whoring around Bangkok.

Oneye

I don't feel the need to panic before knowing there's something to panic about. Gloom and doom forecatss are all well and good, but Come On! This is Thailand! If any new regulations can be gotten around, they will be. I'm not worried.

I for one would be very happy if most of the current run down night spots just died or got much smaller. Finally some incentive to go find new places! Also no way would I go anywhere near Patpong if it becomes full on package tourers AND sex tourists. It's already quite a bad enough circus as it is.

Besides, there aren't enough nice young pretty girls around to fill all the current bars anyway.

From the today's business section of the Bangkok Post:

Tourism heads rebut gloomy predictions

See minimal impact in early closing hours

Nondhanada Intarakomalyasut

Tourism leaders acknowledged yesterday that there might be some negative repercussions from the new early closing rules, particularly on pub owners located outside the specified nightlife zones.

However, they said the impact on the entertainment industry will be limited, while a major alcoholic beverage manufacturer downplayed the gloom-and-doom predictions made by bar owners.

Business operators have shown mixed reactions to the new rules announced by the cabinet earlier this week.

According to Tanes Petchsuwan, international public relations director for the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), the shortened hours and zoning rules are unlikely to have significant repercussions on the tourism industry.

He said the TAT's new focus was on promoting natural and cultural attractions, positioning the country's night life as only a complimentary service.

Suparerk Surangura, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, also agreed that the impact would be minimal, saying tourists did not usually go out very late as they had tight tour schedules to follow during the daytime.

But Niti Kongrut, director of the local TAT office in Pattaya, said the government should consider including tourist destinations like Pattaya, Phuket and Samui in the zoning.

''The government should not rush ahead. It should discuss the matter with all parties involved before implementing the rules,'' said Mr Niti.

However, the new rules were unlikely to drive a large number of tourists away from Thailand, he said.

Prakit Chinamornpong, secretary of the Thai Hotels Association (THA), said it was still unclear whether the rules will be applied to only particular types of bars or if restaurants in hotels would be forced to comply.

He said the new closing times would affect tourism to some extent. ''If the impact starts to become significant, we may have to submit a petition to the government to reconsider the decision.''

The manager of a popular Sukhumvit bar _ an area not included in the nightlife zone _ said his establishment could be forced out of business.

''We're all very scared right now. It's not just the business, but [the regulations] could affect people's lives to a serious degree. People are going to lose their jobs and some expats living in Thailand may move to Singapore or the Philippines where they don't have to be told what time to go to bed,'' said the bar manager.

While Singapore has adjusted its rules to extend the hours of entertainment spots to attract tourists, Thailand is going in the reverse direction, he said.

More importantly, the zones which include Patpong, Ratchadaphisek and Royal City Avenue are not the areas catering to quality tourists.

''Patpong is a nightlife spot known to be very seedy; it's not for clean fun. RCA is associated with Thai crowds and Thai music and all the other Thai things that don't attract tourists,'' he said.

But Thanit Thammasukti, advisor to Beer Thai, the bottler of the Beer Chang, predicted little effect on sales.

''By midnight, most people are already drunk and will stop ordering drinks anyway,'' he said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is just an example of Thai arogance. I am sorry I love LOS but after a day on a wonderful beach, or tour of one identical temple after another, I like to relax and have a nice lesurely dinner maybe a drink or tow and just relax. In most tropical countries people like to stroll about in the cool of the night, or sit and socialize whith their friends over a drink or two. Somehow I feel that all of the actions taken have some sort of draconian bent to them. Get the cheap labor force to bed early so they will be fresh to work in so multinational factory for piss wages. Make sure that all of the money to made off of vice's is carefully funneled to only the boys on the top. I do belive that what is going to bite toxin in the but is the fact that he is going after the average boy in browns money. With that said many seem to think there is going to be this huge boom in midnight freelancers. Well let me point out that prostitution is ilegal in Thailand. And with the "growing problem" of street prostitution I feel its just a matter of time before the "campain" will target this as well. as I have said before for now anyway LOS is LOS-T

Belem said in a related thread:

Some people are breathing a sigh of relief that the South Pattaya entertainment zone will remain pretty much in tact, but this is going to suck big time, especially the closing times for discos. One of the things I like to do in Pattaya is drink at Boom at 6am.

It's illegal at the moment for Boom to remain open until 6am. What makes you think that the new rules will make any difference to that? The mayor of Pattaya, Khun Pairat, is implacably opposed to the new closing hours so will ask the local police not to enforce them. Only when Bagkok police come down to Pattaya will the rules be enforced - and the Bangkok Police will be too busy monitoring the Bangkok night-time venues to bother about coming to Pattaya. Or that's what I think anyway. :dunno:

Here are a few of my thoughts on this whole sory business.

Firstly I dont understand the legality behind it all. For a bill to be passed as law it has to be discussed in parliament, voted on and assuming it is approved then enacted as law once Royal assent has been given. This has been decided by a cabinet committee and implemented shortly after. Obviously they are able to do this, because it is happening. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Secondly, the PM turned down initial proposals saying the effect on tourism and jobs neded to be taken account. This does not appear to be the case, although there does seem to be some leeway being given already about Phuket, Pattaya and possibly new zones in Bangkok.

Nextly, the deputy minister of the Interior, whose name escapes me right now has been quoted as saying it would be better if closing times were harmonised in the zones. This is the guy with the responsibility of implementing it all. A case of right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

As mentioned above some backing down in terms of tourist areas and new zones appears to be taking place within 48 hours of the announcement, how much more will follow. It certainly makes no sense to leave the two most popular tourist areas of Bangkok, Lower Sukhumwit and Khao san Road out of the zones.

The main problem with the existing law(s) is that the entertainment businesses are poorly regulated, and the laws poorly enforced. Surely simply changing these laws ain't going to change that, and the same problems will persist.

I note this is all being done in the name of social order. Putting pissed unhappy punters on the street at midnight along with a load of cash hungry hookers doesn't seem to me to be doing a whole load for social order.

However, personally I dont know how much of an impact this is really going to have. I dont know the current proposed zones in Pattaya, but whatever they are they could well be expanded. In Bangkok, the existing zones will offer plenty of oppurtunity, it just means changing habits, and as for pussy, well thats not going anywhere.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, we'll see on and after March 1 what really happens.

Finally, to those of you who are never going to come back to Thailand bye-bye.

Archived