New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

Johnny Was said:

Have I missed something here, I thought they were all able to open at 6pm.

That's one of the points that weems a bit unclear yet. Unclear like the Mississippi River Delta and just about as changable.

And many places, like Gullivers are restaurants, different regs again.

Discos will certainly close at 12 outside the E-Zones and pubs and/or bars with live entertainment seem to get to stay open til 1am... great for the new demand for musicians.

There are no doubt murky regs to be clarified in the next 2 weeks, and I suspect that many of the bureaucrats in charge of these have yet to finalize all of them yet either. These regs go back to 2001 when the gov't past the Entertainment Zone legislation. But it has taken until now to set the enforcemnt policies in place.

We must all remember that in reality the Thai society is very conservative. And while they are also tolereant especially of the abhorant behaviour of farangs and other foreigners, they really don't care for the 'in your face' conditions of places like NEP and Cowboy. PP is accepted as it has a long tradition and being in a primarily business neighbourhood, it does not become an eyesore to local homeowners. Plus there is some serious political clout there.

We can expect to see more of the 'behind closed door' policies that exist in China, where there are huge venues that dwarf anything I have seen in LOS, but you need to know where to find them.

Owners will adjust as will punters, and the scene will go on.

NEP will continue, but I suspect there may be huge changes to the venues in 6-8 months. But then it started as a shopping center and when the anchor store backed out, a couple of bars moved in. They did well and it has 'progressed' to what it is today, or at least what it was a couple of years ago. It will adjust, change and survive. But like all things in life it won't be the same as it was.

Maybe I'll start and 'underground' tour service for those that 'need' to find the action. :neener:

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There seems to be one constant in all the information coming out.

That one constant is that the whole issue is very confusing and no one really knows what the reality of all the proposals is.

Personally i believe that the govt will go ahead with its plan to clamp down on all the night life both Thai and the small farang section regardless of the economic cost. They have what they call a vision and they plan to implement it.

Time will tell how long this government lasts.

If they however have the support of the majority of the population then this will be the new face of Thailand.

Of course this will not cure any of the problems of epidemic corruption, poverty, crime, drugs, prostitution etc but it will be window dressing and in a very Thai way it will be seen to be doing something about the ills of society whilst in reality doing nothing.

rompandadam said:

Yes she is........boss of one of the BIG bars notoriety-wise

well, if she's the owner of the bars with the western sounding names i would not believe one word coming of that woman's mouth (and make sure that your wallet is still where it belongs after speaking with her... :p), and her clout is only a fraction of what she makes everybody believe.

flyonzewall said:

i doubt very much that in the west any party has such a wide range of political and economical fractions.

a bit going away from the thread here, but it has certain similarities to the nazi party in the early 30's. ...

Sigh... This doesn't mean the English are going to have to come and sort it out again, does it? ::

One option I haven't seen mentioned: can't new gogo areas start up within one of the designated zones? Ratchadapisek's a pretty large area, isn't it? And, can't such new owners decide to do it properly next time, trying not to make it too "in yer face" for the locals who don't want to see it? After all, there are loads of huge (sometimes pretty empty) shopping "complexes" you can walk into. Can't they put some new gogo bars into such an enclosed, inside place? Sort of like the big, multi-storey Thai massage places, but with gogos...

shygye said:

[color:"green"] i doubt very much that in the west any party has such a wide range of political and economical fractions. [/color]

Democratic party in the USA. :neener:

i have said "the west", not "the wild west"... :cover:

bibblies said:
flyonzewall said:

i doubt very much that in the west any party has such a wide range of political and economical fractions.

a bit going away from the thread here, but it has certain similarities to the nazi party in the early 30's. ...

Sigh... This doesn't mean the English are going to have to come and sort it out again, does it? ::

One option I haven't seen mentioned: can't new gogo areas start up within one of the designated zones? Ratchadapisek's a pretty large area, isn't it? And, can't such new owners decide to do it properly next time, trying not to make it too "in yer face" for the locals who don't want to see it? After all, there are loads of huge (sometimes pretty empty) shopping "complexes" you can walk into. Can't they put some new gogo bars into such an enclosed, inside place? Sort of like the big, multi-storey Thai massage places, but with gogos...

Maybe Ratchadapisek will become the new lower sukhumvit. It still seems daft to redistribute everthing there though. What hotels are located near here Any recommendations (girl friendly?) and the same for Patpong? I though Patpong was very thin on the ground for hotels?

Although I dont think the new rules are really about the nightlife not being 'in the face' of the locals. I think the real reasons are a lot more deep rooted than this. Bangkok is a big place after all and lower sukhumvit is only one small area.

Maybe Ratchadapisek will become the new lower sukhumvit. It still seems daft to redistribute everthing there though. What hotels are located near here Any recommendations (girl friendly?) and the same for Patpong? I though Patpong was very thin on the ground for hotels?

Although I dont think the new rules are really about the nightlife not being 'in the face' of the locals. I think the real reasons are a lot more deep rooted than this. Bangkok is a big place after all and lower sukhumvit is only one small area.

Ratchapisek is a possibility, and Farangs do go there (I do). If the regulations are enforced as presented in the papers, I strongly suspect that we will see a Farang scene develop in one or more of the three entertainment zones. I picked Patpong because it is the obvious choice, but Farang oriented bars might also pop up in the other two zones.

Although I can see new bars popping up in the entertainment zones, I have hard time imagining Nana or any other entertainment zone in Sukhumvit surviving if the rules are enforced as presented and no new zones are added. This will be a tremendous hardship for Sukhumvit, and not just the go go bars, but also the new, upscale bars where couples are comfortable. This is why I agree with you comment: "I dont think the new rules are really about the nightlife not being 'in the face' of the locals." The new rules give the Bulls Head, Q Bar, Bed and other venues where couples are comfortable congregating a scant 3 hours to operate - basically, a death warrant - while allowing the go go bars of Patpong and sex venues in Ratchidisek longer hours.

And this makes me wonder if commonsense might prevail, and the authorities will make Sukhumvit an entertainment zone? I hope the Sukhumvit bar owners are making the right pitch to the authorities by, for example, drawing attention to the fact that bar, pub and club scene is quite varied and helps make the city liveable. No one wants to live next to a disco, but part of the appeal of the Sukhumvit area is the availability of restaurants, shops and clubs. It makes the area very liveable. There is condo development called The Hamptons on Soi Thonglor Soi 10 where all of the units - which were selling in the US$300,000 range and up - were sold out before construction began. A big part of the sales pitch was the pubs, clubs, shops and restaurants in the area. If these new rules are strictly enforced as advertised, much of that will be lost.

Archived