Setting up wireless internet at home?

Straycat

Will try that as well as soon as I can reach the w-less routers admin pages, which currently is not possible (trying at 192.168.0.1).

Sounds like it's not really working in the right direction for you right now :)

Usually Wireless routers offers 3 different ways of contact:

Serial (use a serial cable and hyper terminal with the settings 9600,8,n,1)

Ethernet (use a crossed cable directly between the router and your laptop, just make sure your laptop netcard is setup with a static ip and it's on the same network (eg. IP = 192.168.100.100, subnetmask = 255.255.0.0)

Wireless (depends on product)

Make sure the Wireless router is not connected to the network when you try to configure it.

Sounds like you are getting much more fun than you paid for when you bought that wireless router ;) .. maybe you should apply the same solution you suggested to BB regarding his laptop... something about a wall, if I recall correctly ;)

Good luck,

Danish30

my advice to BB is probably the best one to use right now..and it's very, very tempting ;)

what's so frustrating with these kind of things is that already in the store when you read on the package ("easy install, only three simple steps, up and running in minutes, blah, blah, blah") you know hell is waiting...so I'm not surprised ;) :onfire:

Look on the bright side, once you get it up and running you will have gathered enough information to publish a book titled "Fundamentals of Wireless IP networking" ;) I guess that never crossed your mind when you read "easy installation" on the package :)

Nah, I know it can be pretty fustrating, but I guess I can't even offer you to drop by some time and lend you a hand, since you surely can't be in Bangkok when you talk about internet in a wall plug and 100mbit speeds.

Straycat said:

my advice to BB is probably the best one to use right now..and it's very, very tempting ;)

what's so frustrating with these kind of things is that already in the store when you read on the package ("easy install, only three simple steps, up and running in minutes, blah, blah, blah") you know hell is waiting...so I'm not surprised ;) :onfire:

Straycat,

ROFL :) Thanks both for the good laugh.......

2 weeks ago the GF arrived from BKK with her new laptop and a croscable, that worked, but she could not connect to the internet through my laptop.

Ok, then back to my internet provider, bought a new modem ( cos I have an ISDN line here ) a wireless router and 2 whatever-you-call-them cards for the 2 laptops.......

Well, it took her 3 f@":! days to get it up and working, and at the end she is not too sure how she managed, but its working, both wireless internet and network.

No, I cannot help you here, except be patient......

Oh, and by the way, I bought a DVDplayer yesterday, zone-free, top of the range, only 125 Euro.

Less hassle than to throw stuff at the walls, specially when I need to move in 3 months :)

Good luck there.

Cheers !

Stray,

Actually I'l have a beer here on you, I checked this forum daily to see your final posting :) :) no kidding.

Same here, it works, but no fucking clue as to why nor how, but it does :)

I even took the laptop to the neighbours here about 60-65 meters away to show them pics, and it reconnected automatically !!! I was online at the neighbours, weird feeling.

Good that we both did not use the wall as an option :beer:

Cheers !

Archived