Thumbs up to thai police

pattaya127

I am myself cynical enough about them that i must say it when I hear about good deeds done by the thai police.

I saw a show on TV5 yesterday, french channel, about the cops taking lessons in midwifery because the BKK traffic makes it so, that many pregnancies end up either by the side of the road, in a car, or still at home, because the ambulances are caught in a jam.

Every week, 10 babies are born this way, and so far, only one died in 2003, the show said.

One cop has alreay delivered 30 newborns, the one we follow during the show, was saying every time he has to deal with it, he gets really antsy, but after a new baby was born, he came up with something quintessentially buddhist and thai: "to help someone give life will bring good luck".

So :up::applause: for thai cops.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Thai police have a bad image. Every one that I have dealt with, have acted a lot better then their falang counterparts do. I have only been personally welcomed by a policeman and that was in Thailand. One policeman went out of his way to welcome me.

Absolutely! I deal with the police in my business and personal life. I have had very few bad experiences and a whole lot of very positive experiences. I prefer dealing with the arrogant SOBs in the Los Angeles Police Department. Yes, there are a few good LAPD officers but not as high a percentage as Thailand, by far.

guys, please don't forget that those nice blokes last year killed several thousand people deathsquad style.

personally i have had very few bad experiences with cops here, but i put that more down to the fact that i am a foreigner. i am though not blind towards realities normal thais have to face.

the bad reputation thai police has is well deserved (but i do also understand the pressures normal coppers have to face).

Also on Thai TV last night they showed a big drug bust and also what looked like a stolen motorcycle ring busted.

I would hate to be a cop anywhere , but my hats are off to them for doing a tough job.

PS.....the only time I was really scared was when an LAPD officier started ranting that "my kind" (long haired hippie ?) had screwed up the world and that if he shot me then he would only have to do a year or 2 in prison !

Total nut case who is still probably out patroling the North SF Valley......

there's a lot of "what looks like's" happening here... ::

...such as what looks like a bloke who was shot "resisting" arrest, or what looks like a bad man caught with lots of drugs, thais call those boys with rubber slippers straight from the village caught with a benz and drugs worth millions "dtoa taen".

Fly,

"guys, please don't forget that those nice blokes last year killed several thousand people deathsquad style."

You may be the most knowledgable one on here with regards to the police, but you cannot equate with the "police" who are doing/did this with the normal "police" that most of us interact with.

Maybe you and others can update us on the differences between all the types of police in Thailand.

Tourist police

Traffic police

BKK Metropolitian police

Special Forces police (like SWAT teams)

191 police / CID police

Kings forces police (Klongarn Patracharadamri police)

Highway Patrol police

Border Patrol police

Immigration police

Probably many others that I don't know about.

Cheers!

Fly those coppers weren't necessarily acting off their own bat, the majority were just following orders that came from the top. I'm sure a good few of them hated having to do it.

More than 3 years ago my brother in law up country was pouring his heart out about the stress of having to shoot drug dealers - at the time I thought his story was bogus - I mean Thailand doesn't allow summary execution of suspected drug merchants?. Now, despite not having confirmed it, it fits - and this poor little guy was nearly crying describing what he had to do.

My feeling is that the cops who went out to kill drug dealers, out of a very special and mediatized campaign, are not quite the same who deliver babies in their working meighborood.

I am also a bit confused about your relative's story. Does any cop have to obey orders to kill, when the situation allows otherwise (not in self-defense)? Did his good standing and promotion depended on killing on command?

I dunno, at some point, A man (not just the cop anymore) has to make a decision when arresting criminals becomes pure assassination against one's will.

Especially as this poor guy will live all his life with the certainty that he killed people as ordered, not self-defense, or protecting others lives. Something does not square in that story of a common policeman being oredred to murder people.

Surely, they have enough happy triggers in Thailand police not to recruit reluctant cops.

Just a thought on the way your story was posted. If it happened this way, yes, I am sure this man will feel the burden of not having stood up against assassination, and simply say NO. That would come with a cost, but so is assassination.

A couple of things - at the time I thought he was off his head. It's only in retrospect that I've assigned a possibly of truth to it. So at the time I didn't bother to ask any questions cause I din't want to encourage him.

Also I don't even know if he was a proper policeman. He was dirt poor, absolutely dirt poor. Apparently, he asked to be transferred to work another district after that converstaion because he was scared he may have to confront his sister who was dabbling in the yah bah at the time.

I admit the reluctant hitman angle is almost like some movie cliche, but I really will never know whether he was fantasisng or not.

Archived