Cambodian King gives thumbs up to samesex marriage

Phnom Penh

Associated Press ? After watching TV images of gay weddings in San Francisco, Cambodia's King Norodom Sihanouk said Friday that homosexual couples should be allowed to get married.

Since the Cambodian government chose in 1993 to be a ?liberal democracy,? it should allow ?marriage between man and man ... or between woman and woman,? the king said in a signed statement in French posted on his Web site.

The king, currently on a medical visit to Beijing, also said that transvestites should be ?accepted and well-treated in our national community.?

King Sihanouk is a constitutional monarch with no executive powers but is highly respected in his country. Gay couples are not allowed to marry in Cambodia.

San Francisco has issued more than 2,800 marriage licenses to gay couples in the past week, amid a growing debate in the United States over whether such unions should be allowed. King Sihanouk said in his Web site statement that he saw TV footage of gay weddings there.

I take a different look. It's not a government's business to know, care, or regulate who gets married whether they be hetero, homo, katoey, or mia noi. The decision and terms should be between the persons involved and the government keep out of the people's lives. The need for a piece of paper from the court house to sanctify a relationship is just silly IMhO.

Hi Escape Rabbit,

Got your point and I do understand what you're saying.

Still IMO such marriages should not be accepted legally. It's a step in the wrong direction which may be the cause of other 'unnatural' issues such as adoption by a gay-couple :dunno:

I say let them live peacefully without giving them the legal status or I'm afraid there will be plenty more to come.

I just found it curious. Curious a bit strange that is.

Wonder if there will be a prominent gay marriage industry in Cambo should this come to pass. :dunno:

A 3rd world SFO center ? I can see the planeloads arriving now :banghead:

Canada just legalized gay marriage and there is quite an industry flourishing now.

• 8 years later...

What a crap.

Why do gays need to get married? What for?

Live and let live I'd say, but I don't see the sense of gay-marriages.

I felt the same way but decided that it must be a way to save taxes and save on medical insurance. I get a pretty good tax break by filing Married Filing Jointly which is the main reason that I have a Thai wife.

Two things come to mind:

Didn't the Cambodians pass a law that a foreigner over 50 could not marry a Cambodian? Maybe this takes up some of the slack.

When Sihanouk turned the reins over to his son I heard people in Phnom Penh refer to him as 'The Queen'. Rather disrespectful but possibly deserved.

zen

Two things come to mind:

Didn't the Cambodians pass a law that a foreigner over 50 could not marry a Cambodian? Maybe this takes up some of the slack.

When Sihanouk turned the reins over to his son I heard people in Phnom Penh refer to him as 'The Queen'. Rather disrespectful but possibly deserved.

zen

Since the Khmer society is much more conservative than the Thai society and since the king is utterly powerless in Cambo in don't think that in the upcoming years gay marriage will be a topic in Cambo.

As a side note: when I saw the original poster, it was like seeing someone talking from his grave... tombstone.gif

Archived