Worst TV-Series Ever Made

Straycat

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are talking bad Australian soap, does anyone recall Paradise Beach? An absolute atrocity of a show.

BTW Really have to disagree with the dissing of Seinfeld. I think it comes second only to the Simpson's in US televison comedy.

I can't believe that some poor misguided soul made so bold as to suggest the magnificent Steptoe & Son as candidate for mantle of "Worst TV Series Ever Made". :nono: I would instead vote for it as one of the best human comedy-dramas ever made. :up: If the essential Emmerdale Farm (let's get its title right kids ? none of this post-90s trendy abbreviating... :down:) has clear Beckettian overtoes, S & S was pure extended nihilistic absurdist-existentialist Waiting For Godot set in a scrap yard. The pain of being. Aaarrrooolllldd!!!!!!! :applause:

There is a thin line between crapness and greatness, of course, so one hesitates to nominate certain series (series-es?) lest other parishioners of this electronic haven hail them as classics on the easy-to-play "ironic! deconstructs itself! so shite it was brilliant!" card. "Jobfinder" springs to mind. :D Every speedhead dope-smoking alcoholic's :drunk: best friend in the 1980s: a programme on from about 3-6AM, when all the other channels had finished till dawn, the nightclubs had thrown you out, but the acid hadn't worn off. :drunk: "Jobfinder" was just a teletext stream of bucket-bin available jobs in the UK with appalingly poor salaries and contact numbers hopefully appended. Easy-listening background music, and no human presence, just pages of chunky cubic text that changed every 5 minutes from one job no one wanted to another job no one wanted. :nono: Especially at 5AM with a cargo of chemicals on board. ;)

"Sous-chef required at established Motorway Cafeteria-on-Wheels west of Twickenham. Must have documented knowledge of deep-fat friers, be good with customers, and able to work weekends. No darkies or vegetarians. 34 pence per hour plus use of lay-by washroom facilities. Apply with references to "Albie's Burger Van, Doddford Ringroad..."." :bow:

Erm, no thanks. :beer: I'll just have another line of Billy Whizz and a snort of poppers. :D This was when, thanks to the Iron Lady and others, 98.3% of British youth aged between 16 and 67 were unemployed and signing on the dole. :down: But, by jingo, Jobfinder seemed like a veritable daily treasure trove of chuckles and deep social commentary at 5AM with a bong in one hand, volume turned down and the Jesus & Mary Chain on the stereo. :hug: We never missed an "episode" at my house. :) Hardcore video and a box of Kleenex waiting patiently underneath the sofa for when all your mates had passed out or gone home. :hubba:

But worst TV series? :rolleyes: Would have to be something so inane it's not even worth ridiculing: the BBC's long-running Holiday programme, for example? :sleeping: Falstaffian dyke Judith Chalmers getting fatter and more red-jowled by the week, wine-tasting or sunning her sandpaper-red skin in Majorca/Tenerife/the Algarve (again), and noticeably pissed (again), and the other chirpy "younger" presenters reporting from places Judith turned down ("This week: a weekend pottery-making break for newlyweds in Stockport!") whose names no fucker knows? That's a barrel of laughs to watch when you're broke too. :o

jack :help:

"Sous-chef required at established Motorway Cafeteria-on-Wheels west of Twickenham. Must have documented knowledge of deep-fat friers, be good with customers, and able to work weekends. No darkies or vegetarians. 34 pence per hour plus use of lay-by washroom facilities. Apply with references to "Albie's Burger Van, Doddford Ringroad..."."

Can you check as see if that post is still available? Sounds better than i've been offered in the past few weeks. Even a washroom ......... damn that's class. :rolleyes:

Yes I must admit to being more than a little surprised that some nameless philistine would include Steptoe and Son in the list. The highlight of many a budding totter's week they were. And this at a time when the only other things on TV were 'Fred' and an embryonic Top of the Pops hosted by none other than Huw Wheldon. Le plus ca change.... :)

LaoHuLi said:

"Sous-chef required at established Motorway Cafeteria-on-Wheels west of Twickenham. Must have documented knowledge of deep-fat friers, be good with customers, and able to work weekends. No darkies or vegetarians. 34 pence per hour plus use of lay-by washroom facilities. Apply with references to "Albie's Burger Van, Doddford Ringroad..."."

Can you check as see if that post is still available? Sounds better than i've been offered in the past few weeks. Even a washroom ......... damn that's class. :rolleyes:

Sorry, chief. It's taken. Michael Jackson just snapped it up. :o

jack :beer:

You guys must not be from America (joke, I KNOW you aren't).

The Simpsons and Sienfeld are funny, even the reruns. Have you lost your minds?

I know you non Americans would like "Married With Children" now if there is a man on this planet that cannot relate to that series...

Keep these shows however:

Fantasy Island

Love Boat

Big Brother

The Bachelor

Average Joe

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy (WTF is this world coming to?)

Benny Hill (ha, got you guys back for the Simpsons, it was funny til I turned 13 tho)

Sex and the City

Oneye

Archived