Bangkok may become arts capital of Asia

MrX

An exquisite article in today's Nation outlines how Bangkok will be re-invented as the hub of arts and entertainment in the region..What a joke!

Why is the prevailing wisdom that 'everything that matters' can be command led?

I mean isnt it obvious that late night smoky cafes, kids doing what there parents dont want, taboo-breaking sex has always been the lifeblood of the arts?

Hands up any artists who go to bed at midnight!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Through friends who have worked with or know ---(now I am acting paranoid)..quite well- I heard this idea put forth a year or two ago. I thought now how are they going to pull that off? IMHO opinion these are posturings of individuals that are seeking approval from 1st world art centers without a clue as to what it is to begin with or how to achieve it.

This particlular individual is a high tech fanatic and cares not about individual expression let alone artistic expression.

Most Thai painters want to go to the states or Europe to show not stay in Thailand.This notion reminds me of their idea about making it a fashion center. There is talent here but it is generally not nurtured.

I am mean if it really were an art center I would not have to drag my ass back to the states for the market 40% of the

year. ::

More BS. :banghead:

I am a career fine artist this past 32 years and we creative types need to run free now and again. :grinyes: :grinyes:

>>>There is talent here but it is generally not nurtured.<<<

and as long as the dean of the chula art department pushes the most untalented cocksuckers internationally that place here will never be any sort of artcentre.

there is lots of talent here, but most of the talent is due to poverty pushed straight away into the commercial arts.

sad.

come on fly......... dont perpetrate this top down establishment nonsense

deans and rectors retreated to where they are are a long time ago and have little to do with creative artists/entertainers who need ingredients of repression, freedom, decadence and bloodymindedness in rather enigmatic proportions

There was always tons more 'art' in the first and second sets of the (now nearly defunct) longun show than in any chula sponsored silver-trayed, big-hair attended gallery preview

one might have the misfortune to be present at

Archived