Sihanoukville Cambodia

peter

In Sihanoukville I found downtown area most convenient. The city is quite spread out. Back packers stay at Victory Beach/Hill area. $1 to downtown. Ask to be dropped at a restaurant near the hotel you want. Motodop boys on a kickback when they take you to a particular hotel.

I stayed at Tradewinds GH. Very clean, secure. Large room with fan, TV, fridge $5/night. I can highly recommend the Fishermen?s Den rooftop bar nearby downtown for a friendly cold one and chat with the jovial Kiwi owner Brian and his partner Jim nzbrian@camintel.com. He?ll show you all the ropes re sanuk. He has a boat too and organises regular fishing trips for $25. There are freelancers in Brian?s bar (no bf).

Best beaches are Independence and Ochheuteal. Worst was Victory Beach ? full of trash and I saw a used syringe there. Watch your belongings at the beach.

For sightseeing head further east to Kampot, Kep, Bokor Hill station, caves and old Khmer Rouge camps. Owner of Red Snapper GH organises 2 day tours for $50. If you do it yourself, seek out Mr Brazil as a guide who operates out of the Champey GH in Kampot. Very friendly and helpful.

If you're going via Koh Kong. I can help you with more info. I go there quite regularly. I only went to PP via Poipet years ago, so I don't have up to date info re that route. Angkor Wat is a "must see" on anyone's list though.

:beer:

Archived