Movie: "The Passion" banned in Thailand

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I stand corrected.

When it was released here (Oz) - the ad said we were the first to see it, as it was being released on that day world wide (we were one of the first due to the time/day differences). Maybe just Aus/US/ the west??

well with only english sub-titles it may be pointless to release it in many places... especially those with small christian populations.

Sure some of the Embassies will have it soon on their Film Club night. :doah:

MightyMouse said:

Who wants to watch the last few hours of Jesus' life?

ME !

If it was banned I would be very sad !

I am looking forward to seeing it in the theatre. I'm Buddist but I love to see movies about other religions. You can learn many things from them. I love Jesus Crist Super star, The Last Temptation of Christ, and many more.

All of the following is IMO (yes I have seen the movie):

The Passion of the Christ is arguably a great movie but it's not something I'd consider as a good teaching tool. It really does play to those who already know the story and likely will have very limited appeal to areas with small Christian (or at least, Western) populations.

Due to the level of violence (truly the bloodiest movie I have ever seen) I could see it having trouble with distribution in places where the blood and suffering of Jesus is of little or no more significance to the local culture than the blood and suffering of anyone else.

GTG,

What you say is pretty much what the missus said. She tells me we'll be seeing it soon.

Like most Thai's (I've found) she's quite open to exploring other religions, not out of desire to convert, but curiosity, and genuine interest. I think she sees it as a way of finding out a little bit more about what makes the west tick. Similar to when farangs visit temples etc in Thailand. Gives a bit of an insight to their culture.

Red I understand and applaud your gal's iinterest in discovering other cultures and religions, but personally I would try to find a more balanced approach to her introduction to "Christianity" than 3 hours of blood, gore and humiliation of a human being in the last of the 'blood king sacrifice' rituals.

Surely there must be a better approach. IMO :bow:

By the same token the amount of bloodshed in Suryothai was shocking especially knowing how revered royalty is to Thai's. Still, it was a worthwhile movie and a nice change from the usual.

I was going to write about the ending, but seeing your post made me realize you may not know the ending, so I wont spoil it for you!

Now, like all good holiwood movies, it does get very sad, and you'll think the hero is, well, dead, but don't start crying, because there is this nifty twist.

JB

Archived