Movie: "The Passion" banned in Thailand

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cmon, OH - lets not get into this debate ....

Please read 'Have we learnt anything in the last 2000 / 200 / 100 years ?' if you dont believe that Jesus of Nazareth really existed. The answer, when applied to our inhumanity to our fellow man, is a resounding 'NO !'. Bring on the comet, and let this planet regenerate itself.

[color:"blue"] Christ is pretty much a work of fiction dude... [/color]

Having been been a Catholic and an altar boy, I have been very offended by many of "the church's" teachings. In particular, I was offended by a description of hell that a Catholic priest bestowed on my high school class - burning for eternity vividly described. I felt that this concept could only be the creation of some controlling, mean spirited, power and wealth seekers (the Catholic church?) and rejected the idea. Recently, I have embrassed the concept of hell. It seems the just reward for the thousands of priests who have sexually abused helpless children - not to mention the bishops and others in the hierarchy who covered it up (and still do).

In my opinion, Mel Gibson, with good intent I am sure, is just another misguided human being who thinks he has found the answer and now is trying to give others the benefit of his wisdom (a bit naive, presumptous and prideful in my opinion). Wish he would be content just saving his own soul.

Artiew;

You have been duped again :doah:

The Upsidedown Cruxifiction symbol predates Christianity by centuries at least. It signifies that the person being executed is an innocent. The executioner's way of protesting the sentence while carrying out the order. (Check your Tarot card 'the Hanged Man')

Just one of hundreds of pieces of 'pagan ritual' incorporated by the 'Church' to 'bring in the flock'. Sme as 'Christmas' and the soon to be celebrated ancient 'Spring planting festival' that was highlighted by the blood sacrifice of a 'god' ......... oops, they rebranded it as Easter. :doah:

I just bought and watched the Passion dvd. Unlike most Christ movies where you get 2 hours of teachings and miracles followed by 10 minutes of killing, here it's a full 90 minutes of torture.

But I think it had the opposite reaction on me than it was supposed to. I can only imagine that Gibson wanted me to more fully appreciate the sacrifice by showing so much pain and suffering. But for me...it brought my confusion about the point of it all even further to the surface. If God is so all powerful, why should he need to make anyone suffer at all??? Can't he just snap his fingers and we're all forgiven without any torture? If so, what kind of sadist is this God of ours.

I'm sure you good christians out there will tell me that it was all the pain that let us know that God loves us...by giving up his son for our sins. Well...Blow me! I love my mom but I think I'll just send a card rather than drive nails through my hands to prove it. If she can get the message of my love without my mutilation...then why does this God suppose we need it so much. And why doesn't he have HIMSELF tortured rather than send his son to do his dirty work? Seems rather cowardly to me.

But the more I study organized religeon the less I understand it. Could somebody explain why nearly EVERY religeon on earth believes that God is so big into fashion??? From the Muslims head to toe gear, to the monks robes, to the nuns habits, to the Jews skullcaps...why do we all seem to think that what we wear means anything to the Lord. Sure there's poverty, starvation, cruelty...but what really pisses off the all knowing is when our ankles show. I just don't get it. Shouldn't whats in our hearts mean more than whats on our skin...not to the Taliban who think a nice long beard is proof of our faith.

And don't get me started on the devil...which makes no logical sense of any kind. (I do realize that if there was a hell I'd be going there after this post...but PLEASE...if God was this big an asshole I think I'd probably prefer to be there anyway.)

But, anyway,...yeah, pretty good flick.

itsmedave said:

But I think it had the opposite reaction on me than it was supposed to. I can only imagine that Gibson wanted me to more fully appreciate the sacrifice by showing so much pain and suffering. But for me...it brought my confusion about the point of it all even further to the surface. If God is so all powerful, why should he need to make anyone suffer at all??? Can't he just snap his fingers and we're all forgiven without any torture? If so, what kind of sadist is this God of ours.

I'm sure you good christians out there will tell me that it was all the pain that let us know that God loves us...by giving up his son for our sins. Well...Blow me! I love my mom but I think I'll just send a card rather than drive nails through my hands to prove it. If she can get the message of my love without my mutilation...then why does this God suppose we need it so much. And why doesn't he have HIMSELF tortured rather than send his son to do his dirty work? Seems rather cowardly to me.

Itsmedave,

Couldn't have said it better. I think the same way you do. It doesn't make sense to me. (Not that I think reincarnation make sense coz I don't believe it either.)There are lots of other way to show God's love to men. Why did his son's death help us from our sins in anyway ????

Cheers,

GTG

>>>Could somebody explain why nearly EVERY religeon on earth believes that God is so big into fashion??? From the Muslims head to toe gear, to the monks robes, to the nuns habits, to the Jews skullcaps...why do we all seem to think that what we wear means anything to the Lord. <<<

i have read in some obscure book an interesting story about the development of the buddhist robes.

appearantly in the days when buddhist monks did not yet drive around in the biggest mercs, it was still very important to be poor. so, those monks went to the burial grounds and picked up left over cloth in which the corpses were rapped in. they then stitched those small peices together, and bingo - you had a proper monks robe.

obviously there is also other meanings connected to those corpses. still until today one of the most important lessons for buddhist monks is to lose the fear of death and futilty of desire, especially sexual desire. years and years of meditation on that subject, which includes months of meditation in front of slowly decomposing corpses, sometimes even culminating in mediatations sitting on rotting corpses.

there are certain festivals here which are not for the weak stomached, where monks on such a quest do make an appearance.

also the root of many christian orders robes has similar reasons behind.

even though in todays world we see more corrupted ideals than holiness, there still are monks around who do take their vision very serious. a monk's robe does mean a lot more than just a uniform like dress. but i have to admit that it mostly is so nowadays.

I'll point out, as fatras I know and have been told, there is nothing in the Thorah/Tamlid whatever that says one must keep the head covered...tradition or whatever...On a related note, heard a show on NPR here, talking about how Christ (who never existed, just the cult leader of his time at best) was supposedly crucified naked, as was the trend then, supposedly, the catholics "covered him up" in their depictions...Most religions have similar conepts and or traditions simply because they didn't want to alianate the people they wanted to convert/conquer/control...religion remains the controling opium of the masses who need to put responsibility into someone ele's hands rather than take it on themselves...I remember a roomate in university ..."...oh I was sick and prayed to Jesus to make me better, and he did, this is proof he exists..." no you stupid fuck, you took medicine and got better, thank a pharmacutical company, not some made up guy...really...this is just the "man/system" using hollywood to try and convey a message that will hopefully control all of us...stupid fucks who go along with this shit...

Archived