Movie: "The Passion" banned in Thailand

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jimmie Blonde said:

I was going to write about the ending, but seeing your post made me realize you may not know the ending, so I wont spoil it for you!

Now, like all good holiwood movies, it does get very sad, and you'll think the hero is, well, dead, but don't start crying, because there is this nifty twist.

JB

The ending is a twist ? Isn't it the same as it was written in the bible ? I went to a christian school, you know. :: I have both English and Thai bibile of both the old testament and the new testament. I went to Sunday school for many years, yet, I remain a Buddhist. However, I am always fasinated with the stories the bible telling us. I saw some similarity and some differences between Christianity and Buddhism.

I am always interested also how Hollywood portray Christainity in their movies.

Redbaron said:

GTG,

What you say is pretty much what the missus said. She tells me we'll be seeing it soon.

Like most Thai's (I've found) she's quite open to exploring other religions, not out of desire to convert, but curiosity, and genuine interest. I think she sees it as a way of finding out a little bit more about what makes the west tick. Similar to when farangs visit temples etc in Thailand. Gives a bit of an insight to their culture.

Yes, I find most Thais are like that too. But in my case I learned Christainity at school for many years. I even learned many verses from Bible at heart and still remember to this day. :) Some makes sense to me but some doesn't. :: Oh...I went to church on Christmas day 2003 with my Christain friend too. Strange ? I know. :neener:

GTG

Sorry GTG, but I was making a joke, on western movies (which just about always have a happy ending!) and "The Story".

The story as you know from reading the bible, well, the hero, lets call him JC, gets strung up and dies. Imagine if there was no bible ever written, a movie of this story, every one crying in the theatre, men bravely blinking back the tears.

THEN (drum roll, timed as a large rock covering his burial tomb rolls aside)

Low and behold, just like Gandalf, he's back! Big better WHITER than before!

That's the same plot as most western movies! And also, ironically, the same plot as the bible!

What I love about Thai movies on the other hand, and we could draw a similarity here between the two religions as well, is that the hero does often die, a tragic or heroic death! I love that! No twists, the hero is DEAD!

JB

I am always interested also how Hollywood portray Christainity in their movies.

Te Passion of the Christ has nothing to do with how Hollywood portrays Christianity. Mel Gibson made this movie by himself, completely outside the scope of Hollywood -- in fact, that's one of the very fundamental issues surrounding the movie.

I agree that this movie is interesting, but don't be confused that it is part of Hollywood.

I went to Sunday school for many years, yet, I remain a Buddhist

Hi GTG,

Interesting - did the Christians try to convert you from Buddhism, or were they content to allow you to choose your own way ? The Japanese Shogunate saw Christianity as a threat, and made an example of many Christians by allowing them to follow in the footsteps of their founder:

Crucifixion through the Ages

As mentioned on this page, the Apostle Peter was crucified upside down - I cant think of two many more ignominious ways to die, especially at one's own request. He reputedly didnt feel worthy of crucifixion in the same manner as Jesus.

Barbaric stuff, but have we learned a *single* thing since Christ's death ? As I've said before, the sooner the next comet wipes all trace of man from the planet, the better.

Archived