Ringing the Bell (Free Beer) POLL

My first poll - hope it works...............

I am sure that most of us have rung the bell at some point - However what do you usually do when you RECEIVE a free drink after a Farang has rung the bell?

in many bars it is customs, that only the girls get drinks and not other customers; some bars just even charge for all the girls, but only some will take the drink and cheer with the bell ringer.

for me i either do not take the offered free drink because i seldom drink more than one drink in a bar and prefer to move around or i drink my free beer, but usually ignore the guy, but in any case i think he's a f#ckwit as i think also about me that i am a f#ckwit, when i ring the bell...

samak said:

in many bars it is customs, that only the girls get drinks and not other customers; some bars just even charge for all the girls, but only some will take the drink and cheer with the bell ringer.

for me i either do not take the offered free drink because i seldom drink more than one drink in a bar and prefer to move around or i drink my free beer, but usually ignore the guy, but in any case i think he's a f#ckwit as i think also about me that i am a f#ckwit, when i ring the bell...

Hi just drink and move on to next bar ::

hi Samak

What a surprise :neener:

I don't ring the bell anymore (or very rarely). I am that fuckwit and I learned the hard way.

I was with Redbaron up at Asoke. We'd gone to a bar to look up an old friend and I rang the bell in a bar that had about 6 people in it. As the bell was still reverberating the numbers swelled to, oh...about 600,000 including a performing troupe of the roughest ladyboys I've ever seen; think off-duty navvies wearing make-up.

Boy, I was the most popular man in the world for approximately 0.4 nanoseconds. What a fuckwit. What a complete knobended piece of demon's vomit.

The bill came to about 80 GBP and necessitated a later trip to a cashpoint to continue my night.

Like a dwarf with learning difficulties - It ain't big and it ain't clever.

Thank the guy personally, as I would anyone else who bought me a drink. It's only polite, after all.

Coming from a country where there is a bell in most bars, either to attract attention, or to announce "last orders", I wonder how many of us Brits have found out the purpose of the Thai version the hard way ???

I rang it once "for a laugh" - yeah, hilarious, cost me about £40, and that was a quiet night. Never again...

It's incredible how far sound carries in Thailand. ::

That may have been my fault old chap. See you may have thought I ordered another beer, but it was filled with top shelf liquor (being the high class conosoeur that I am - as you know). I also told the boss to include a few 000 B tip in the bell ring as well as enough cash to fix her buffaloes.

She agreed that since you are so JaiDee you wouldn't mind.

Thanks again :neener: <- had to put that in, the missus loves 'em.

As for me, I'm too much of a tight arse to ring the bell, although the bell was rung on my behalf the night I met Miss Red... Who rang it? The ex missus of course. Bit of a wierd night that one, I'm sure you remember Carew... the beginning of the end for me.

• 7 years later...

Thank him in person or just acknowledge him across the bar: Yes! :drunk:

exactly,good manners to thank the person.

i have rang the bell on occasions but in my friends bar.

on my last night i will normally ring it after getting to know all who work there(a small bar and not that many staff)as i have been treated like a king once the staff knew i was long-term friends with him and his thai wife and she likes a tipple and usually rings the bell herself every hour.

i get many free drinks if i'm around and why not give a little cash back to the bar if you are friends and are treated well?.

the pair of them are fonts of wisdom if i have question and things can be arranged outside the bar scene if i ask and much cheaper.

and they normally have some good looking ladies who are quite accomodating................

my fave daytime bar in patong is really good for the staff to ring the bell.

small and normally regular customers stop off for an hour or two during the day,so they think a little encouragement is worthwhile to make you stay longer.

i was there in 2002 during the football world cup and got friendly with 3 swedes who rang the bell non-stop(or so it seemed)and everyone was happy.

but i have seen the occasions where a customer is fairly drunk and rings the bell a few times thinking he will get attention from the girls.

they know the score and encourage him to do it again and again knowing that he will go home alone because he is totally wasted.

but the girls have done their job by earning the bar money and having a few drinks for themselves.

but if someone is that drunk i normally decline the drink or give it to someone else.

if someone agrees to do it for a laugh or suchlike then i'll take the drink but i don't like to take advantage of someone who has little idea of what he is doing.

Archived