New Zoning/Early Closure Thread

I have heard this too Gadfly but didnt want to mention it in case people got worked up about what could be just gossip and hearsay. A couple of local Sukhumvit thais told me that there seems to be a definite anti-NEP movement amongst the TRT party memebrs and that the 1am closing times and later opening seems to be picking up steam again with enforcement to begin as early as songkran/early April. However on a personal observation, NEP still seems quite busy, despite a lack of promotional lowering of drinks prices etc, so they must be doing something right.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of local Sukhumvit thais told me that there seems to be a definite anti-NEP movement amongst the TRT party memebrs and that the 1am closing times and later opening seems to be picking up steam again with enforcement to begin as early as songkran/early April.
I guess we'll find out next month.

"a definite anti-NEP movement amongst the TRT party memebrs" Presumably because none of them obtain a personal financial benefit from NEP - that seems to be the test.

My information is limited to the conversations described above, all of which occurred in NEP. I have no idea if there actually will be a 1 am closing in NEP (plenty of false alarms thus far), and no information on any other venues.

But to hear this from some from 4 BGs in NEP suggests that there must have been some sort of announcement or meeting, even if the information is stale or wrong. I certainly haven't seen anything in the papers to support it. If anyone else has better information, I'd love to hear it.

I have a somewhat selfish interest in this. I generally don't stay out late, but I have a large group of friends coming in for Song Kran, and they were all concerned about the early closings (some were concerned enough to say that they would go elsewhere if the new rules were actually implimented). The last report I send said that that NEP is open until 2 am and other venues (which will not be identified here) even later. I hope that is still true when they arrive.

I spoke to Ricky at Angelwitch over the weekend. He told me that the government have made a decision about closing times to be implemented on April 1st, but will not inform the bars until that date (presumably to avoid the demonstrations etc., they had recently). Ricky says he fears it is not good news (otherwise why won't they announce the decision in advance), but has no solid information.

He told me that the government have made a decision about closing times to be implemented on April 1st, but will not inform the bars until that date
If true - and I can easily imagine that it is - this says alot about the current government. Sheeez... :(

Well its happened tonight all bar in Nan closed at 1 AM. RIP THAILAND. I work until 8 PM every day and after returning home, washing showering eating etc. I can usually get out for a drink at 11 PM, I am not a quick drinker and in 2 hours would usually have 4 beers only. Any suggestions where I can go, Cambodia looks high on the list at least there you can own your own business. Khun Go Hok you have gone too far.

It's 1am now - Gullivers, Nana plaza and Angeles closed 1am. I was in front of the entrance. It seems that the management got caught by surprise as they still charged 200THB at 1am when the police came. They closed the place within 10min pissing off a lot of customers, who just payed the cover.

Don't know about other places, but some girls told that Patpong and Soi Cowboy closed 1am too. Khaosarn however, was open til 2am according to some girls. So it looks like no zoning at all.....

Anybody has information what happened in Pattaya? I was there yesterday and it was business as usual...

i think it is not clear yet and thing have to be observed. NEP and SC were during last 4 days closed at either 0100 or 0200 but not predictable and inconsistent. some other bars in sukhumvit have to close already midnight, some others in the backalley stay open until 0200. Patpong is closing at 0200 with some bars staying open until 0400.

Archived