"Sex, Drugs and Death: AIDS Let Loose In Asia"

Fidel

The text below this picture says:

"A volunteer chooses not to wear gloves when giving messages to HIV positive patients in order to give them the rare chance of human touch at the Wat Prah Bat Nam Phu hospice. Over 500 people died each year at this center. It?s the last hope for refuge for many, as AIDS is still a stigma in the country, with families often shunning their loved ones who have AIDS. Lop Buri, Thailand. "

Would be interested to know if its true in general that families refuse to take care of their own

not as far as i know.

the favourite uncle of my wife is infected, and still very much part of the family, still taking care of the small children, same as before.

and many others in her village are HIV+ or already have developed AIDS, never seen anyone rejected there.

I thought the claim that thais were 'shunning' their brothers sisters etc sounded strange. The ones who are in the last stages and lucky enough to get into that wat go there for the care available. A few probably have no one at home to care for them which gave the photographer that idea. My guess anyway.

Nice, I found the pictures moving. I noticed surgical masks used by people in close proximity with those with aids. Strange because I did not think it was possible to transmit airborne. Comments?

in that wat there are many who have been rejected by their families, others whose families just have not the means for caring for them, and some who simply have no families.

but fortunately that does not count for the whole country - otherwise you would have tenthousands dying on the streets - if families here would generally reject their infected relatives the country would not have the capacities to care about so many.

AIDS is huge here, just in my missus's village are around 20 attending the selfhelp group in the local clinic. and that's just the ones who know to be infected.

Archived