Laos - Luang Prabang

No...I am not going there looking for sanuk. I was there about three years ago with a Thai girlfriend and was curious then and I am curious now - particularly since I am travellilng to Luang Prabang unaccompanied - if there is anything available there.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Guys,

any info on travelling to Luang Prabang would be appreciated by Moi as well.

My journey down the Mekong, whilst 18 months away, is currently under research and I'll be greatfull for any and all info.

Some links I've found:

http://www.world-heritage-tour.org/asia/la/luangPrabang/map.html

http://www.visit-laos.com/where/luangprabang/

http://www.laoembassy.com/discover/sites/luangprabang.htm

I gather that friends may be found at hotel discos and some restaurants, and that the nights are early ones, 10 - 11 ish, and that some will prefer to meet you at your room rather than travel with you.

But I'm still looking for more info.

Cheers

Coss

Be really careful...

Its illegal for Laotians to share accommodation with foreigners. BIG problems with the cops if you get sprung.

Also heard that tuk tuk drivers will take you to a girl, go and tell the cops who in turn raid you, and then the cops and the tuk tuk drivers will go halves in the bribe you pay to get out. Not worth the hassle! Fly P.

China........ yes.

Westerners and non mainland Chinese have to stay in hotels approved and licenced for same. Guest registrations are sent to local police block nightly.

Local girls not allowed in rooms (but of course you can find the right places :) )

Stayed with my tilac in her place a couple of times, she was shit scared to get caught.

In Kunming at least, it is illegal for foreigners to be out after 10PM.( Their reasoning is that they can't guarantee your safety ) Not enforced, unless they dislike you. Couple of the Thai staff in my hotel got 'Official' warnings.

Of course this old dog and many others partied all night.... :: but technically illegal. :(

never heard any of that, me & my mates indulged on several occasions & we're still here

another urban legend IME unless of course you're looking for trouble sure you should be able to find it

same same china, vietnam, russia, cuba etc na?

No, definitely not an urban legend! If anyone has worked in Laos, (as I have), they will know its a hard and fast rule.

Don't know about China or Cuba or Russia as I haven't worked there, but yes, the same in Vietnam. However Laotian police are much more strict and "onto this" than their Vietnamese counterparts. Laos being a small country and "everyone knowing everyone" - particularly in a town like Luang Prabang, word soon gets around, and doors have been knocked on the morning after. Chances are nothing would happen to you apart from having to pay a "fine", but for the Laotian involved, it can mean big trouble.

"China........ yes."

How long as it been since you were there?

There is a recently enacted law requiring registration of guests at hotels, driven by a famous incident in Zhouhai in 2002, but all you say certainly would come as news to the "single" expats I know in China, to say nothing of the thousands of freelancers around and available to take back to your room.

TH

I was in China two years ago. Some of the girls told me that if they were pulled by the police and searched then if they had condoms in their handbags the police would arrest them as that apparently constituted proof that they were hookers. Don't know if that's the same all over China or whether it was just heavy handing policing in Haikou.

Archived