a "code" for what is really going to happen?

MrX

In the face of the protracted debate on the board and in the wider media about closing times?/zoning and say for example the anti-drug campaign or the u-turn on electricity privatisation a puzzling contrast is appears to me.

In the closing times and privatisation questions the problems were/are handled in a classic thai way----face saving formulae were fashioned and more or less elegant retreats undertaken while in the drug wars there was/is no sign of thai malleability ...a 'just go ahead and who gives a fuck about opposition and criticism" approach. What differentiates these two outcomes? Has it been clear (to old hands?) from the beginning in which case sleeves are really rolled up....in short is there a "code" which distinguishes the 'intended' from the 'provisionally intended'?

PS Mods ...dont know if this should go in "culture"..also apologies if this is too political for board rules..consequences unquestionally accepted etc

It's not me saying it, but yesterday I talked with a dual citizen US/Thai guy, and we were talking about all this, and the closing of walking Street gogos so farangs and dancers(I guess :doah: :: :rolleyes:) do not get too drunk or too tired to vote the day after.

He said, "any situation, think what common sense dictates you to do, and then think what would not make sense....That's what the thais will do!".

Archived