No land line available. Wireless in Pattaya??

redwood13

Moved into a townhouse in Pattaya. Has a telephone. Telephone has a dial tone. But I get a "does not work" buzzing signal that interrupts my attempts to dial a number - after about the 3rd digit.

Made a few trips to the TOT office in Pattaya and after 10 days I got a call this morning telling me there are no lines available - "cable full" or some such. :banghead: Previous tenant - a young Thai female - came by for her mail and said phone worked before.

Does this seem correct, i.e. there's a dial tone but no more lines available? :: Suggestions?

I mostly want the line so I can use my PC. Any suggestion re wireless service in Pattaya??

-redwood

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sounds like you are getting a busy signal at the switch in the area. ie. the junction to the main line. This is common as they hook far too many lines into a junction.

Try a different time of day or if they have really screwed it, make friends with the 'local' TOT service man, who may be 'persuaded' :doah: to reconnect your line to a more favourable place in the junction.

or consider a move to another location.

also check the junction to the townhouse complex ........ may be a tad of fiddling to be done. :rolleyes:

Any suggestion re wireless service in Pattaya??

Redwood,

I am no tech freak, but it is my understanding that you still need a landline to make it work.

Once in the house, only then can you go wireless between your landline and your PC/laptop.

Thats how I understand it :dunno: and that how it work here in my house.

Cheers !

Hi redwood,

I don't really know about Pattaya, but in Bangkok this is a common problem.

I think your only options are:

1 Wait until they get more lines or a free line in the area

2 Try ask some of your neighbors if they've got an extra line

3 Move to another place!

I have been in your situation before, but I was lucky and got a line after a month or so. Now I always order a phone line for a new place before I move there.

You could get satellite or cable internet, but quite expensive in both installation and use.

Best regards,

Danish30

could try buying a wireless LAN card if primary interested in getting web access. Then you need to be lucky that some nearby biz or private people have an 'open' network you could tap into ;)

I'm using that successfully at my new home at the moment. A wireless(WIFI) USB/PCMCIA adaptor should set you back no more than say some 4000 THB & if having a laptop can use it everywhere like starbucks, airports etc.

redwood13 said:

Moved into a townhouse in Pattaya. Has a telephone. Telephone has a dial tone. But I get a "does not work" buzzing signal that interrupts my attempts to dial a number - after about the 3rd digit.

Made a few trips to the TOT office in Pattaya and after 10 days I got a call this morning telling me there are no lines available - "cable full" or some such. :banghead: Previous tenant - a young Thai female - came by for her mail and said phone worked before.

Does this seem correct, i.e. there's a dial tone but no more lines available? :: Suggestions?

I mostly want the line so I can use my PC. Any suggestion re wireless service in Pattaya??

-redwood

Send a PM to Lucky Farang. I know he uses a wireless LAN setup with his laptop and can connect from ANYWHERE in PTY or BKK. A bit pricey to start out, but fast connect speeds.

hmm connect from anywhere around bkk/pty & at much faster than than gprs speeds a bit like starwars in LOS :eek:

but if it really work please fill us all in & I all my netcafe hassles will be over ::

fuck it even paying some reasable subscription fee for this will still make it sound unreal at least if were taking cable speed here :applause:

I believe the service is somewhere in the neighborhood of USD $50/month and the PCMIA card for the laptop, with a little antenna, runs around USD $450-500.

I've seen it work a number of times in different location in PTY and BKK: hotel rooms, car, etc. I believe that service is limited outside of these 2 metro areas.

Sorry I cannot remember the name of the card or the service company. A PM to LuckyFarang (one word) should get you all the details.

ib13 said:

hmm connect from anywhere around bkk/pty & at much faster than than gprs speeds a bit like starwars in LOS :eek:

but if it really work please fill us all in & I all my netcafe hassles will be over ::

fuck it even paying some reasable subscription fee for this will still make it sound unreal at least if were taking cable speed here :applause:

From LF:

"Hutchinson Sierra Wireless Card, uses the cellphone network, not satellite, so it is mobile. Now the range is from Bangkok to Pattaya and east to the Cambodian border, some day should cover the entire country, PMCIA card that plugs into a notebook, and they probably have a way to use with the desktop also. You pay by the megayite, not the minute. 300 meg a month card charges 1500B,

500 meg card is 2000B a month. You can purchase the card from logcorp.com, but it for 18,900 but it is being sold for 2000B less in a kiosk inside Watson's drug store at Royal Garden Mall, Pattaya

Customer service at logcorp is good. Speed is at least triple dialup, and about half of my ADSL connection if SanFran.

To buy directly from Hutch in the Watson's drug store kiosk, you must have a work permit. No work permit, can buy from logcorp.com."

Archived