No land line available. Wireless in Pattaya??

redwood13

"Saw an advert in the Bangkok Post a few days ago for the GPRS as mentioned by MM with a "special promotion".

http://www.ucall.co.th/promotion.htm

Emailed and they say it's available all over Thailand BUT user must have a work permit - I have a retirement visa - or applicant must be a Thai."

Odd, I went to their office and saw a demostration. They also came to my place and installed one. I did not purchase because it was a new product, and after they installed it, the performance was not very good. I assume now they have the bugs worked out. Actually, they later called and said that very same point. As far as work permit, that was never mentioned. The one they demonstrated used sim chips. They had several sim chips and some performed better then others.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My comment re ucall covering "all of Thailand" was only based on what their rep's email stated. I'd think you're correct re it being cell dependent and thus limited to certain areas.

Given the generally negative comments re the net surfing capabilities of the GPRS vs. Hutch I guess I'd better get back to Dao at logcorp. Larry seemed to indicate that connecting with my PC was no sure thing so I'd set that possibility aside while hoping to get the landline sorted.

Emailed DTAC & AIS re GPRS service and asked about the necessity of non-Thai needing a work permit to obtain service.

AIS response:

"Thank you very much for your e-mail. We are delighted to have the opportunity to serve you. With regard to your question. We would like to inform you that to register to get a GSM Advance number for foreigners, we do strongly require work permit. If you do not have one, we require for assurance letter from a Thai person you know. We do also require for your passport for registration as well. You can contact AIS outlet or Telewiz shop to make a registration. Moreover, you can get more information about AIS Sim card by clicking HERE ." :(

And at 09:30 this morning DTAC called. Said I needed a work permit BUT then asked how long I'd lived in Thailand. Said hold on, talked to someone else, came back and asked if I had a bank account. I said yes, I have a savings account at Bangkok Bank - said hold on again - talked to someone else. Then said she'd have to call Chonburi and would call back.

An hour later she called again and said I should go to their office in Si Racha and apply for an account.

Then she called back a third time to be sure I had proper directions to find the Si Racha office :) ::

-redwood

The Dtac service that it sounds like you're talking about is a service agreement with monthly service charges. For that type I know there are some hoops you need to jump through, house registration, Thai ID, maybe work permit, things of that sort.

The one I was referring to was the pre paid service. You buy a card at places like 7-11 when you need to increase your balance.

You get much better rates for GPRS with a service agreement. But it's still just as slow.

If the problem with TOT can't be resolved I agree the Hutch option sounds like the way to go. It would be nice to get a demo on the computer you plan to use it with.

Good luck.

Given my heavy usage a contract would be the economical way for me to go.

Got a reply from Dao re the Hutch service. Very discouraging :(

She says the Sierra card only works on some desktops. Most of the time it will have a hardware and system resources conflict.

They do have an adaptor but it has to be configured correctly and they no longer have installation & configuration service available given how time intensive it can be. And after all that it may not (i.e. very likely won't??) work. Price for the adapter is 4900 baht + the price of the Aircard - which is around 18-20K baht. :(

She suggests buying a laptop.

Guess who's likely to be the guy who'll pay for the past due phone bills??? ::

-redwood

• 4 weeks later...

Final report. :D

TT&T bills get paid at TOT (at least here in Pattaya). Went there but they would not allow me to pay the way past overdue bill. Apparently only the holder of the account can pay when the bill is this far (5 months) overdue. :(

Had Thai friends call owner - actually not my friends ----

The dynamics of a little sub-soi are really interesting. I had a farang friend who "found" the townhouse for me that I'm renting. He in turn knew a female Thai who lived on the sub-soi where I live who did his laundry. Since she's lived here for a long time she knew the wife (or maybe mia noi) of the owner of my townhouse, as does the woman who lives a few doors down from her. So they took it upon themselves to call the owner and ask about why no phone for me - as did my friend's girl friend. They did this until the "wife" said she was tired of all the phone calls.

Then after 2 months one of the landlord's minions came by and arranged to get me a phone. :)

Why the change?

Landlord sold the townhouse next to mine and has money :) (Word on the soi is the bank is after him for way overdue loans and he's been seriously broke.)

So, I've got a phone and can get at least a dial-up and maybe more - BUT landlord has decided he wants to sell the place I'm renting :(

So, I'm stuck with dial-up EXCEPT after a couple of days I get a 691 error code and can't connect to the Net. Forty eighty hours in a computer repair shop and I'm back in business but apprehensive ::

-redwood

Archived