No land line available. Wireless in Pattaya??

redwood13

oh very cool indeed ;)

almost forgot LOS are the land of virtually ALL the global wireless systems including CDMA. So Hutch sell the device at 17900bt at the moment & monthly package 1480bt so I agree it's not bad & probably the one & only true wireless deal at the moment.

the wireless LAN I was mentioning is not really truely mobile at all, but relies on local hotspots to work. however the access costs is only some 3000bt for the HW & then free or subscription based as a per location connection?

and then of course there's no real speed limitations & typical rates are in the Mbps range say 22Mbps ;)

how about 3G/UMTS/WCDMA networks are they beginning to surface in LOS yet? they will offer true countrywide wireless coverage & speeds upto 384kps, but likely will be more expensive per MB than Hutch.

I believe both DTAC & AIS do sort of 'middleground' highspeed GPRS(EDGE aka 3*GPRS rates)) at least in BKK already...

So pick your interweb backbone?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all for some really good responses.

A few comments:

I know almost nothing about computers or telephones but am willing to learn if it'll solve my problem.

Can't move - signed a 1 year lease. :(

There is maybe a bigger problem getting a phone in Pattaya than in Bangkok. Some areas are hopeless I'm told - Wongamart for example. Since the phone at my new place had a dial tone I assumed all was ok. Bad assumption. ::

I'll talk to my landlord re the problem. He's hard to reach but I'm sure I'll see him the day rent is due. Perhaps he can make the phone dude an offer he can't refuse. Landlord is a cop! ::

I've actually met Lucky Farang in the past as we got our retirement visas at about the same time. And as it happens just talked to him last week but I'd forgotten that he'd signed on for service with Hutch via logcorp. I talked to him over the weekend and he's satisfied with the service.

I e-mailed Larry at www.logcorp.com re the use of the Aircard with my Personal Computer. He says there's about a 50/50 chance it will work and there'd be changes involved no matter the outcome. They'd have to come down from BKK. They're supposed to get back to me re specifics. And an additional card would be required besides the Aircard.

http://www.logcorp.com/aircardindex.htm

I _think_ this is the card they're using:

http://www.sierrawireless.com/ProductsOrdering/AC5551xRTT.asp

Thanks to Valentino for his suggestion re the GPRS, however it appears that this will only work with a laptop, Palm or Pocket PC and not a Desktop?????? I'd also need to upgrade my mobile phone.

More as we learn of it. :)

Thanks again,

-redwood

There should not be a problem connecting via a PC, either via a connecting lead or by Infra Red.

No special cards are needed.

Which model of mobile telephone do you own?

The problem faced in getting a telephone may not be because there are no lines, but is a way of overcoming the saving face situation with the other parties because of installing the phone may be expensive.

another alternative is a GPRS wirless connection. Check with www.ucall.co.th

nope 3310 is before the gprs evolution & thus has no gprs support whatsoever!

6310, 6510, 8310 etc. are some of your best 'older' bets, but hey if you want a 'real' GPRS efficient phone get a Sony-(ericsson) e.g. T230, T630, Z600 etc. Pretty cheap I guess & can either be connected to desktop with seriel, bluetooth or USB cable ;)

• 1 month later...

Update on my no landline= no computer problem.

Thai neighbor's friend's friend got me the phone number of the line that's in my townhouse. Number was seemingly unknown by everyone including the landlord ::

Phone cannot be connected because there's an 11K baht phone bill hasn't been paid in 5 months ::

Landlord is likely not going to pay it and TOT says I cannot pay it - has to be paid by the landlord :(

Saw an advert in the Bangkok Post a few days ago for the GPRS as mentioned by MM with a "special promotion".

http://www.ucall.co.th/promotion.htm

Emailed and they say it's available all over Thailand BUT user must have a work permit - I have a retirement visa - or applicant must be a Thai.

Is this true of all GPRS users??

-redwood

If you are talking about the GPRS modem that Ucall site is offering it still is going to use the cell network so it's not really available in every location in Thailand. And I assume you will still need a cell phone account.

I didn't see the price but I would certainly consider using a cell phone that is GPRS enabled instead, one which offers a USB connection to your computer.

I use Dtac Dprompt prepaid service. Like AIS one2call no work permit required (actually nothing is required except a phone and money). It offers GPRS. Works fine for emails, banking but isn't good for general web surfing.

I say GPRS from either AIS (as in the above ucall promotion) or DTAC would be equally reliable connection as the Hutch alternative (CDMA2000) while the latter would be superior speed wise ;)

I'd really not hesitate getting the CDMA deal despite the possible higher setup costs aka thye new CDMA2000 phone.

Good luck & do keep us updated :)

Archived