Crossing Threashold

This was at a Temple in Singburi. Doorway threashhold leading in building was painted gold, and tirak showed me the proper way to enter. Seemed to be going in sideways, and not lifting outside foot, before inside foot was planted firmly inside, on the ground. Only then could outside foot be lifted to cross threashold. She said I did very good, but is having trouble explaining the purpose.

Also, is the 'lifting of the chang' (elephants) a popular thing everywhere? It's where you get on your knee's, with two heavy cast iron elephants on either side. You make a wish, and then try to lift the elephants. If you can do to a certain height, then wish will came true. My g/f is not certain if this is pervasive everywhere in Thailand. Thanks,

HT

Hi,

Thanks. This particular place had all kinds of things going on. Was also a museum of Thai monetary currency??? Basically a circus, with 1,000's of Thai people there (was a weekend). Maybe a provincial thing......the threashold deal? :dunno:

Another was 1,000's of sticky labels with names written on them, places all over the donation boxes. What was only interesting, was my G/f had no idea what these were. A new tradition when giving merit? She grew up there, and had never seen before. :dunno:

Best vendor? A guy who took discarded plastic bottles, and made hanging murials out of them. Totally unreal talent there.

Second best vendor? Drink lady who did not have nam manao (lime drink) for me, but came up with it anyway, and was the best I've ever had in LOS. Took her half an hour, but with such care I've never seen before. :)

HT

Archived