Interesting take on things by a Brit expat ...

Flashermac

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the bad news is that this topic seems to be the most devisive on this board. I neither have a BG or GTG girlfriend/wife or have a preference to either or want either. I personally couldn't give a shit what grown up people do with their lives. I do however take exception to people shoving their views down other peoples throat. Time and again we see people here getting bent out of shape over this subject, people being insulted, people getting upset and holding grudges which results in people leaving. There apears to be many members here married to either gtgs or bgs, and good for them for making the right choice for them. who has the right to tell other people what to do with their lives? I though this place was about people giving constuctive advice that may help others...not taking the oportunity for cheap shots at others which is what so often happens when this topic is rehashed.

The point is that people who are still in the process of getting serious with someone looking like the board mascotte, can still be saved from the dark side. :)

When you all get better looking / more respectable girlfriends, 'farangs' as a whole will look better. Wonder if that has anything to do with the popularity of this topic?

Cheers,

Chanchao

Chanchao said:

When you all get better looking / more respectable girlfriends, 'farangs' as a whole will look better.

Hi chanchao,

Interesting point. You may well be right. But what you are saying is that we should conform to other peoples opinions of what we should do, for their convenience, and not do what we, as free adults, choose to do.

I accept that our freedom is constrained by the need to do no harm to others, but this is taking it too far. I'm sure if I could be bothered to spend the time, that I could think of many absurd examples of what this sort of philosphy would lead to.

One thing we escape out here in the Wild East is the stifling conformity that seems to have overtaken much of the western world.

Norafloxin is right - it's nobody else's business.

Khwai

When you all get better looking / more respectable girlfriends, 'farangs' as a whole will look better.

Norafloxin is right - it's nobody else's business

I agree. N400 is on the money here. From my own point of view, I wouldn't have a long-term relationship with a girl who has a "bar history" - "you can take the girl out of the bar but can't take the bar out of the girl", etc etc...

BUT... I am not going to begrudge someone a little happiness if they want to for themselves.

Without getting all misty-eyed, there is so much crap in the world nowadays, the more people who are happy with their lot in life, the better. It all gets down to respect: Respect for other people and their choices, respect for your partner in a relationship - whether a former BG or GTG, etc.

Being honest, a fair few guys who have relationships with bar girls, are not going to be able to establish a relationship in their own home country for whatever reason -looks, weight, social skills, and so on... but if they can come to Thailand, have a few cold drinks, meet someone who makes them feel like a king, then who are we to argue? As long as they treat their girlfriend / wife well, and the relationship contains mutual respect, its one more person happier with their life than they were before.

To me, being happy is the most important thing. As long as attaining and maintaining one's happiness doesn't hurt/exploit/harm other people, no one should have any quarms or reservations about it whatsoever. :up:

Fly P.

It's always a volitile subject, to be sure. And gets complicated. I stand on the platform that it's a good idea to watch your back when dealing with a prostitute, and may not be the best place to go looking for a life partner. Which I will always think as sound advice. Not just in Thailand, but anywhere. And I believe common sense will show most people would agree, being in the scene, or out of it. It's a generalization. Just like everything else spoken on this, or any other board, unless refering to a specific individual.

Where it gets messed up is, is when someone starts not taking it as a generlization, and takes it mean in every single circumstance that ever existed. And most of the people rushing in to urgue the point, are either married, or in a relationship with a B/G. You are making sweeping statements about the prostitution scene in general, while they are sitting next to their ex-b/g wife/girl friend, and thinking what is being said is total rubbish. And from their point of view, it is. And I'd probably be feeling the same, in their shoes. In fact, I know I would.

I think most who will say they don't think it's the greatest idea to get involved with a prostitute, do not look at them as inferior people. They simply would not be comfortable with the situation of being married to a prostitute, or don't have the time to go looking for a 'gem' in that sector of the population. But there are some that do find a girl willing to get out of the scene, and that is really, really great. For both of them. But I do not think is the norm.

B/g's do what they do for many, many reasons. Some are thrown there by circumstances out of their control and can't wait to get out, some are doing it because the relish in it, with everything in between.

But in real, I think the general stigmatism attached to them, is justified to a certain degree, looking at the group as a whole. Their job (LOS in particular) is to grab a stranger, fulfill his sexual desires, and make believe she only cares for him. The 'Girl Friend Experience' is what BKK is famous for, the world over, and they are very, very good at what they do. The reality is, how many of us here don't know at least several active working girls running scams on numerous unsuspecting punters. It's pervasive. And it's what it is all about for a working girl. The entire objective for her is to con the 'mark', tell him what he wants to hear, and relieve him of much bhat as possible. That is her job description. And how well she can develop those skills, will detirmine how successful she is. Pure and simple.

In the end, the number of unsuspecting punters being burnt by a Thai B/G, is legendary. Sure some guys scream, "but that isn't fair...they're not all like that!" And they would be right. But they should also agknowlege the obvious fact of what the odds are of a b/g wanting to be with only you. Just remember...some of you might get your feathers ruffled every time you hear a negative comment about a B/G, but there are many who will tell you it's very justified, through experience. Just because you got lucky, does not mean you are the norm. In fact, I'd bet the family farm that you are not. So don't take offence at generalizations thrown about concerning B/G's.

You who have done?....I fully respect you guys. And your partner. It can't be any easy thing to work through, and respect you being able to make it work. Good on you both. :up:

I must say MaiLuk is one member here, who has an uncanny ability to look at it from both sides. He's been through the ringer, but has a very objective viewpoint.

HT

Good one, Phil :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Thought I have no doubt that for a few thais, a bad girl is a bad girl is a bad girl, and they are adamant about it, It's always from farangs that we get these super definitions and clarifications (with always the underlinings that "i got it, but you don't, let me explain...") between Bgs, bad girls and good girls, etc.... It seems to matter a lot to some expats, usually the reformed type.

I actually think we should celebrate that soem of these girls who may have started on an unfortunate foot, happen to marry later. With farangs apprently. Awfully nice and not-judgemtal of us farangs, I'd say. Even shows some Class, in the cases I know.

Most of the thai upper-middle class, I do not expect to show that much Class, not the one with a minor C (which in LOS only means you or your family have ripped off so many people you are loaded with bahts, that's the only class distinction I can figure in LOS). Who are they, in the scheme of things, anyway?

Archived