BEGGER SCHOOL

That guy is one of my favorites, pulling himself along, pushing the dish in front of him, dirth clothes, looking like he just fell on hard times hours or a day ago. I know he's been there for nearly three years (maybe more).

Four years ago that same guy worked the pratunam area, would crawl on that alley way in front of the old Baiyoke hotel. Talk about high traffic.

Must of crawled his way to Suk. Saw an Aussie guy stop on Suk and start cursing him, using the best of aussie slang! My take on it was that the Aussie could not believe the condition of this guy and not knowing what to do and being red faced drunk and not able to just walk away, he just started cursing at him with that aussie accent.

For those who haven't seen the suk crawler, he is lying face down, almost looks like his body is glued to the pavement. his foot looks like its been chopped or deformed, his body is somehow twisted. He pulls himself forward at about two meters per hour, if its wet he is fucked because he just continues his crawl. Needless to say, he absorbs quite a bit of filth from the suk sidewalk.

Anyway, I saw the aussie cursing as my gf and i were walking by, the two of them were on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant that has tables outside. Half hour later she and I were walking back in the other direction, she pointed over to the restaurant. At one of the tables drinking a couple of mugs of beers were the aussie and the suk crawler, the aussie guy talking away at him like they were old pals, the crawler looking mystified by the whole thing.

One of those scenes on suk i'll never forget.

OCgringo said:

also notice that you pretty much only see beggers in tourist areas Hardly ever in Thai only areas....

Really?????????

Come over here at the local village sunday afternoon market 500km south of Bangkok.

Have two of them beggin. Thai people do give a few baht.

Incidentally, any monks or nuns who are legitimately asking for donations will have a license from the city and will show it to you if you ask. In Thai, you ask, "Khaw doo bai anuyat." That means, "Let me see your license." If they do not have one, for ANY reason, they are just scamming you.

Archived