Welcome to America - Fingerprint please !

OCgringo

Well it may inconvenience visitors but it also inconveniences me as a citizen. The process increses the need for manpower to fingerprint and photograph. Instead of utilizing manpower for that effort it would be nice if they could instead place those extra officials in the lines for citizens so that we can be processed faster through immigration!

Also the other thing is that this new procedure is paid for out of our tax dollars! Another case of government and government spending increasing under the watch of GWB. Yet the nitwit wants to continue to cut taxes for big business and 5%(which I a part of) of the population! Keep your crappy tax cuts GW and reduce govenment spending!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. It will take too long. This is mainly from people that have never actually been to US and have just seen it on the BBC. My response is FUCK YOU, stay home.

2. It is an invasion of my rights and privacy. You are a VISISTOR to the US you don't have any rights. My response is FUCK YOU, stay home.

Very nice....

Take a look at Douglas "I am an American citizen. I am not a monkey." Skolnick's response wen Brazil tried the same thing.

America is not a country I'm interested in visiting right now so I don't really care.

"lack of respect for my rights"

"I'll skip the US from my list of destinations."

Oh stop, you are absolutely killing me. Please don’t go away mad, just ..

See number 1. Until you actually are in the US, you don't have any. Sorry, but that is a fact of life.

"travelled all the way within the US "

Oh, so you can tell us exactly how long it took to get the fingerprint and photo?

My point was you people are complaining about delays you haven't even experienced or even know if they exist. But then again, it was on the BBC, that well known bastion of unbiased reporting.

TH

See number 1. Until you actually are in the US, you don't have any. Sorry, but that is a fact of life.

Shit, I thought Human Rights were universal... no?

I guess the above quote is what the Detainees in Guantanamo Bay are told when they mention rights.

The problem with the Brazil thing is they were retaliating for 2-minute routine at US entry with an ordeal of taking paper and ink fingerprints and Polaroid photos. The US offered their system up, similar to what I believe Thailand has accepted, but Brazil wasn't interested in anything but being obnoxious about it. It played well for internal Brazilian politics and that was all it was.

If a foreign country wants to take my photo and fingerprint on entry, as long as it doesn't hold me up unnecessarily I don't have a problem. I have been photographed and fingerprinted in most countries for most of the work visas I have got anyway. I don't have anything to hide.

This whole issue is only put forth as a way for people to express their existing anti-American feelings and internally tot he US, for people to express their hatred for Bush. None of the actual arguments against it hold up against any reality.

TH

O.k. I see the need for tighter controls in some respects. Certain countries are famous for immigtation fraud. Perhapes we need to target people from these countries. As for any of this shit stopping terrorism, NFW! Won't happen! And yes, GWB is a wanker, and needs to go, hopefully sooner than November, anyone up for another impeachment?

TH,

You just keep evading or not even understanding my POV.

Like JJ stated, its all about being processed......

No, its about my rights, whereever I am, and not about being processed by Big Brother.

Do what you want in the US, fine, just count me out, thats all.

As for my travels in the US, as a kid in the 50s, no fingerprints nor pics, and after university in the 70s, nope, again, no fingerprints nor pics either.....

You want to be treated like cattle and be just a number, fine, your decision, your freedom, or better said, lack thereof.

JIMO.

And yes, been to China, Vietnam, Angola and N-Korea in the 80s, sometimes the 'process' would take upto 2 hours, all would be checked and papers to be filled in, but fingerprinted and photo taken like a common criminal ? nope, never.

BB

Note: Any idiot with a nailfile or emery board can alter his/her fingerprint dramatically in less than a minute or two. When this system proves to be 'totally lame' look for a DNA version.

Now if you don't think that it will come to that you are surely kidding yourself.

Badabing I completely agree with you. This 'gwb' is the 'most extreme' religious zealot around. I truly fear for the world as even intelligent people in the US are having a hard time differentiating between 9/11 and Saddam Huessain [completely unrelated issues]. How this idiot could have a following is perplexing.

Note to MODERATOR (S) , if viewed as " political " please feel free to delete, I could not contain myself any longer....

Firstly let me say that I don't really believe that this measure will make the US any safer. But I do agree with it as a matter of public policy -- seems perfectly reasonable to expect that a government might want to track who's crossing a country's borders using noninvasive and readily sampled biometrics.

Also I have to admit not quite understanding what all the fuss is about.

No one is being fingerprinted like a "common criminal" as you say: I don't recall my wife having her fingers rolled in black ink, or having to submit to a mug shot, or being disrespected in any way related to the new entry procedures last time we entered the US. The new process feels like a simple and logical addition to the existing one and it is carried out professionally and unobtrusively.

If you think that you are not "just a number" or not "cattle" in any other place in the world then you are just kidding yourself. And I'll bet that if the Chinese and North Koreans and Angolans had the wherewithal to pull it off in a way that didn't tax their own pathetic infrastructures, they'd be doing the same thing as the US is doing now.

Finally about this: don't you remember submitting photos for the visas for those countries you mentioned? Why is this new thing in the US not just a technologically updated version of that?

The answer to that rhetorical question comes in response to another poster's note to the moderators about feeling free to shut down his posting if it's deemed too political. The US can't possibly do anything right, and so any thread on this board that's bashing the US or President Bush, no matter how political, is automatically "not political" for the purposes of attracting the attention of the moderators.

Archived