Your preferred OS

Zaad

Hi,

I'm currently using Windows ME as it came with the computer I bought, but I actually hate it for its instability. I much more prefer the 'good old' and somewhat stable 95 or 98.

What's IYO the best operating system, or shall we say...the least crappy? :)

I guess it largely depends on your hardware, I voted Win2000, but then I wouldn't put it on a pentium 133 with 64 megs of RAM!

Agree with your ME comments, about as useful as a Tuxedo on Songkran day!

The only good thing about ME was the System Restore which 98 lacked. Trouble is I had to use it too many times!

I vote for XP Pro, mainly because of NTFS and improved security, though don't rely on the built in 'firewall'

I've heard a lot of people say Win ME is unstalbe, but it's actually more stable for me than 98SE. I like Win ME the most because it's the last OS where MS cared about compatibility and I can run all my ancient Dos stuff that doesn't work at all on NT/2000/XP. MS used to have a rule that a new OS would run the top 100 applications of the day. Now they don't seem to care about that sort of thing. I prefer FAT32 over NTFS because if the system won't boot, I can always stick in a single Dos floppy and access all the data as well as make repairs. To anyone else though who isn't rooted in the legacy I'd just say get the latest OS.

Windows CE??? LOL

XP is too big brotherish for me -- many privacy issues IMHO. And it is a bitch to get it to do things that I know it can do. They took too much control away from the user.

I choose to stick with Win2KPro. Stable as a rock (gawd, I hate to say that about an MS product). I use it when I need to use other MS or compatible products (Office or CAD programs).

Linux rocks (fast, efficient & stable) and I use it to just surf the web and do things (word processing, etc.) where I do not care about compatibility issues.

Cheers,

SD

Zaad said:

What's IYO the best operating system, or shall we say...the least crappy? :)

My vote goes to XP, I've been using it on my latest PC for over a year now, and I haven't had to re-install it once.

That's good enough for me, I've used most MS OS's from Win95 up, and had to re-install all of them at least once, for one reason or another.

XP lets me get on with doing what I want to do, and doesn't fuck with my head too much. It's staying on my PC until it starts doing otherwise.

:devil::beer::devil:

suadum,

There are a bunch of XP tweaking programs that'll deal with those big brother issues. There are also a bunch of guides on the net where if you are a geek/dork(me), you'd change the settings manually. Yeah linux are the scoobiesnacks, trouble is that you can't use it for everything(driver/compatability-wise), which bill "baelzebob" gates gots a monopoly on. He's actually Brain, in Pinky and the Brain fame. :)

yeah, XP pro 4 me.

zaad,

Get the XP Pro if you can. XP home is an anemic POS. Also, Win ME is just vile. Everyone I know who's ever used it weeps their little eyes out. Format C: /s that thing! :)

Archived