Your preferred OS

Zaad

soongmak,

To explain plainly without me sounding like a zit-faced techno geek surfing p0rn sites... :p

Basically, XP Pro allows you to adjust and turn off the "big brother-ish" services that's preset when you install. You have much more customizability. I used to be a XP h8er before I got it. Basically was talking outta my own ass. Once I installed it, tweaked the services, loaded up XP style to make it purrrty, the thing rocks! For 2 years, the OS hasn't crashed much, maybe once or twice but that's more currently. It's because the OS, like most, will accumalate a shitload of outdated drivers and junk data. It's been 2 years since I did a clean re-install. Its starting to come around to that time.

I had a fucking sexy-ass Apple Ti book. Man that thing was so sleek and beautiful. Thing was, it was an absolute piece of shit that was outdated in the frenetic mhz race(this is actually valid).

I liken the company Apple with Sony. They are both elitist cockblockers. Sure they make spiffy and really well made products(for the immediate moment), but that's fucked up with non-static technology(ie. computers = software/hardware upgrades). Their proprietary bullshit forces some people(me) to purchase totally new machines when the current model is lagging with the standard hardware/software requirements.

Two years ago when I had my 500mhz Ti book, it should've been sufficient to websurf(with broadband), word processing, and some minor multimedia stuff. Well, that shit was slow as mud. Websurfing, even with broadband was frustrating! Flash sites? Streaming media? Fuck it. I upgraded the RAM with Apple branded expensive as sin mem sticks, and the boost was incremental. I sold it for $1500 to some Apple fan-atic and bought a desknote laptop(that I am using currently) for $1200 with the latest specs at that time(2.3ghz, 512DDR/333mhz RAM, and 40g HDD). Any game, any app, runs like it was meant to.

Oh, and Mac OS X did crash often for me. Maybe I was using it wrong. Then again, isn't apple supposed to be the "more user-friendly OS?" So much for the UNIX foundation...

"Every version they release gets better"

Yes, because the previous v. had bugs and were screwing up. IMEs. Of course this is like most, if not all, OSes.

This isn't a M$ vs. Apple diatribe. I actually like Apple's gumption to be "innovative", and they are. Too bad that their proprietary gestapo attitude fucks a good concept up.

Sony makes neato gadgets as well. They're purrty and badass. Ever tried upgrading a VAIO laptop? Fuggitaboutit.

XP Pro is the first ALMOST decent piece of software (operating system) from Billy the spoiled kid.

I spent all my professional life in computers and always found MS DOS and Windows to be a piece of shit.

Btw, a keyboard and/or mouse to communicate with a computer?, what a joke.

A very long way to go for computers to get usable.

From WindowsXP Inside Out:

Windows XP Professional. This version includes everything in the Home Edition, plus all the networking and security components required to join a Windows NT/2000/XP domain. If your system configuration includes certain types of high-performance hardware, such as a dual-processor motherboard, you?ll need Windows XP Professional to fully utilize it.

Windows XP Professional is a massive collection of code that tries to be all things to all people, from performance-obsessed gamers to buttoned-down corporate executives and spreadsheet jockeys. For the most part, it succeeds.

One of the coolest features in Windows XP Professional is its support for remote connections to another PC. When you allow remote connections (this feature is disabled by default), anyone with an authorized user account can log in to the machine over a local area network or across the Internet.

Professional or Home Edition: What?s the Difference?

To understand the differences between the two editions of Windows XP, remember this simple fact: Windows XP Professional contains everything included in Windows XP Home Edition and much more.

The operating system kernel is identical in both editions. The Web browser works the same, as do all the file and folder management tools and techniques in Windows Explorer. Some default settings are different, depending on the edition in use; for instance, the taskbar is locked by default in Windows XP Home Edition but not in Professional. Regardless of which edition you use, you?ll find most of the same system management utilities and troubleshooting tools, and there?s no difference in the bundled applications used to manage digital media.

1.Support for multiple processors: Windows XP Professional supports symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) designs that employ up to two CPUs. If you install Windows XP Home Edition on an SMP system, it will not use the second processor.

2.Support for 64-bit CPUs: Systems built around a 64-bit Intel Itanium processor must use a 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional; the Home Edition is unable to work with this CPU.

3.Advanced security features: Several sophisticated security capabilities are found only in Windows XP Professional, including support for Encrypting File System and Internet Protocol Security (IPSec) as well as the ability to assign complex access controls to files.

4.Internet Information Services: Using Windows XP Professional Edition, you can set up a personal Web server using Internet Information Services (IIS) 5; this capability is not available in Home Edition.

5.Remote Desktop Connection: Using this feature, you can configure a Windows XP Professional machine to allow remote access, either across a local area network or over the Internet. The client machine can be running any 32-bit version of Windows, including Windows 95/98/Me, Windows 2000, or any version of Windows XP. You cannot make a remote connection to a system running Windows XP Home Edition (although it does include the similar Remote Assistance feature, which allows a remote user to share the desktop for support and training purposes).

6.Domain membership: On a corporate network, Windows XP Professional Edition can join a domain and take advantage of domain-based management features such as group policies and roaming profiles. A system running Windows XP Home Edition can access domain resources such as printers and servers, but it does not exist as an object in the domain.

7.Dynamic disks: Windows XP Professional allows you to create disk volumes that span multiple hard drives; this capability allows you to increase the storage capacity and performance of drives. Windows XP Home Edition supports only basic volumes, which follow the same basic partitioning rules as disk structures created in Windows 95/98 and Windows Me.

I had a fucking sexy-ass Apple Ti book. Man that thing was so sleek and beautiful. Thing was, it was an absolute piece of shit that was outdated in the frenetic mhz race(this is actually valid).

-rasputin

Actually the thing that made your mac so slow was not the hardware but the operating system. That Apple choose stability over performance in early versions of OS X was no secret you can find lengthy discussion of this on places like /. . Even with Jaguar and Panther (10.2 10.3) you will find that running linux on your Mac will be faster than running OS X.

Its hard to make direct comparrison between an IBM PPC CPU and Intel Pentium CPUs they operate very differently. Furthermore processor speed while related to technological development is mostly marketing hype. CPU speed means little without a fast system bus ram, discs and network, not withstanding software that manage these things.

Well constructed reply, Adik. The fact that Apple released OS X without making it completely clear that it wouldnt run properly on older Macs has done them some damage, no question, but on the right hardware its good stuff indeed. I havent had a freeze or a crash on my iBook, and my 1GHz G4 eMac was every bit as quick as my P4 desktop here at work. Eventually, they will get the whole price/performance/quality balance right, and I believe Apple will continue to steal market share from Wintel, albeit modestly.

No single OS can be all things to all people, and I find myself using XP Pro, Win2K, Solaris, OS X and various Linuces : each has its pros and cons. Still cant see anyone breaking Redmond's stranglehold on the desktop, but maybe thats no longer where the war will be fought. We really wont be happy until every appliance in our homes can talk to everything else - kinda explains why I've moved out into the garden :)

Archived