110 AC charging 220 charger

pattaya127

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last time I was in the States, I got a very small 110-to-220 step-up transformer (aka voltage converter) from Frye's Electronics for about $12 or so. Are there any Frye's in SF or is that a SoCal institution?

BTW, should not hurt the charger to input lesser voltage. Will likely take 3-4 times longer to charge the phone battery tho'.

Cheers,

SD

PS - Damn, another post not about sex or whores. I am losing the plot :p

I found the A35 handbook on internet , but they just say the charging voltage is 3.3 - 5.5 V - no specification of the charger at all. As the list of international service includes almost every country except USA I guess it's possible that the charger is just for 230 V, but I doubt it. The travel charger they sell for A35 is 100 - 240 V.

Probably using the charger in US will not damage the telephone as it's not overcharging, but don't charge until you get a better answer. BTW, I've an old A35 at home, I'll look at the charger tonight and can maybe give you an answer tomorrow.

Hi,

a collegue had the same problem. Charger specified for 230V only. He bought a charging cable which connected to the USB port of his laptop (or any other computer).

I had a look at the Siemens phones (own a C60 myself) and had to learn that the standard chargers they sell with the phone are specified for 230V only. Even with the triband phones.

I think your 230V charger will do no harm to the phone, but needs more time for charging and the battery doesn't last as long.

I use the same charging option carlton68 mentions: via USB. Another option is to buy a small charger say from a Radio Shack with the same DC output, snip the wire and splice the one from your phone charger on (be sure not to cross the wires). BTW I've measured the output voltage on a few of these chargers that ship with products and they all measure a couple volts higher output than what is written on the charger (used different volt meters to verify).

I once bought transformer in the US that goes both ways, 110 in 220 out or 220 in 110 out. Good for up to 1000watts. Very handy.

Thanks all. I do have a transformer here, it is just that these things heat up when you forget to plug them out, which i would often do.

Seems the phone had charged no problem, time to charge not a problem. If it blows out, no big deal, cost 2000 only, and it lacks some useful features (like incoming calls memory).

T-MOBILE have introduced the "simcard", pay as you call format, perfect for me who does not see the need for a monthly 30+ $, still appreciate having a phone in traffic, or when online.

Archived