best rock concert you've ever seen

pattaya127

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 7 years later...

First place is unquestionably Emerson, Lake, & Palmer, Dallas, 1992.

Second place goes to Don Henley, Dallas, mid-late 1980s.

Third place goes to Dire Straits, Dallas, mid-late 1980s.

Early to mid 80's in Edinburgh, Scotland;

Gary US Bonds

Tina Turner, and

The Tourists (Annie Lennox's original band)

The best concert I ever was Jane's Addiction at tiny place called 'the loft' in Berlin. 1991. Musically they were an anomaly then and refreshing. And the show was fucking brilliant, it sat with me a long time.

Years later Perry Farrell (singer/founder) has become incoherent. I'm a drug legalization guy, the drug war and prohibition is a joke, but there's still some horrible nasty stuff out there (eg, yaba) and a price to be paid. Perry Farrell is the poster child for talented artist turned addict turned mush. Ginsberg didn't say for naught that the best minds of his generation destroyed themselves (going back a ways there), but I'm still for legalization and solidly against a nanny state. Too neurotic to fuck around with anything more than weed, but hey.

Biggest disappointment was the Stones in the 90s also. Quentin Tarantino said there are two types of people in the world, Beatles people, and Elvis people. When I heard that I just thought - fuck you Quentin, the Stones had deeper cultural impact than both. But how much money do you need? The prices they charge for shows are a joke and musically they've only released garbage in the last couple decades. It's now a nostalgia act, and that's sad.

Best show I've seen recently is "Electric Eeel Shock" at the Stardust in Silverlake (quirky part of LA).

Concert I would sell my soul to see: Led Zeppelin anytime, anywhere. :)

"I am skin and bones

I am pointy nose...

but it muthafuckin makes me try"

-Perry Farrell

I saw Alice Cooper back in the 70s... the Welcome to my Nightmare tour I think.

He had a few good moves.

i went on series of gigs in 2008.

over the months i saw:-

the eagles.

bruce springsteen.

neil young.

bryan adams.

alice cooper.

J2...even after 30 plus years since his first hit alice was a wonder on stage.

a great stage show and still all the showmanship bits.....hanging and beheading still included.

and he is a great person to watch being interviewed.

but i still remember a gig in whatever year? when the sex pistols played a one-off gig with iggy pop as support....that was a good night.

It would have to be Springsteen with the original E-Street Band way back in 82 or thereabouts in Sydney. Some of the pub rock acts I remember from my youth were pretty awesome, but that has to be filtered through the reality that I was usually pissed by the time the band came onstage at about 1am.

Sober, its pretty hard to beat the Boss and that magnificent entourage at full cry. Vale Danny and Clarence.

Archived