best rock concert you've ever seen

pattaya127

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Traffic with Dave Mason, 1970...the late show at the old Academy of Music in NYC......even with the acid it was great....

Billy Joel, before he became famous...at Max's Kansas City

Jimi Hendrix at the Fillmore East...

Frank Zappa at Lincoln Center Thanksgiving 1978....

Ninas Hagen!!!!!!

Long hiatus, berlin with Terri Nunn at Chilkoot Charlies in good old Anchorage Alaska...two years ago

And add the Dead, the Rolling Stones, Bowie, led Zepplin, Lou Reed, the Ramones, the Dead Kennedies.....

I have to agree with you about Rory Gallagher. Saw him a few times, but the time frame you're talking about I saw him at a small venue (Whiskey or the Roxy) and it was so intense I felt priveleged to be one of the relatively few who appreciated his talent. I had a smile on my face the whole time, I remember that much (and I don't think it was due to any hardcore substances).

I'd been to some bigger concerts, the Stones as I mentioned elsewhere and Alice Cooper at the Hollywood Bowl (which was a spectacal), and a bunch of artists I liked at the Santa Monica Civic (like the Kinks, Lou Reed, Mott) but when stadium concerts became popular, I just wasn't interested. I can only be around so many other dumbfucks at the same time.

Funny you should mention Lou Reed. I didn't get to see him that early in his career, but those two live albums with Hunter and Wagner on guitar are among my favorite live albums. I heard they dubbed over them (a la Kiss Alive), did they sound so good when you were there? (like you'd remember:)

Glad to see Rory is remembered. Seems I had the same smile on my face as you did, then :).

About Lou Reed, i was a great fan with my friend back then, and we'd slip a tape recorder at every concert we went to, then listen to the concert all night after that (WA mentionned a certain substance we prized as well post-concert, we was young!), so i can tell the live sound was much better than the LP that came out after. It was just awesome and, how can I say, like danger was around, just anticipating his coming on stage after such an intro. No one had no idea what he would look like, last he came to France was a year before, and he was dressed in a tweed jacket, very conservative, playing acoustic guitar (yes, he was the first unplugged rocker), with John Cale and a few song with Nico. Sadly, I missed that concert, but it was shown in a rock news program after.

We had an immense collection of Paris concerts on tape. Neil Young, Stones, Rory of course, Lou Reed's archived every damned year, flamin' groovies, I also had the Ramones in SF 1976 (savoy Tivoli), Talking Heads 1977 in CBGB or somewhere....

Only music can compete with Thailand as far as i am concerned, but it does a good job of it! :up:

Lou Reed, the Ramones, the Dead Kennedies.....

------------------------------------

Anyone who can write these 3 in one sentence is my friend forever! WA, I don't care about your politics, you're the man, I love ya!

Max's. souvenirs, souvenirs.

I recall one night in NYC, when i went to see Debussy's opera "Pelleas..." at the Met, then went to CBGB on Bleeker St to finish the night. Dead Boys were highlighting, Ramones and Talking Heads were at the bar.

Frankly, if anyone knows someone who went both to the Met. Opera and CBGB the same night, I want to know.

LOL! We drove from Detroit to NYC in the late 70's to see the Talking Heads, Blondie, Souxie & the Banshees and the Sex Pistols over three nights at CBGBs & The Mudd Club. Black Flagg & Husker Du were also on the agenda (different bars, forget where), but we ran out of money...

Those were fun times.

Cheers,

SD

PS -- Trivia Q of the day: What did CBGB stand for?

...just anticipating his coming on stage after such an intro.

Lou used to like to sit on the edge of the stage, totally comfortable with the audience (same with Ray Davies, if I'm not mistaking the two), not like you'd expect from his reputation what with having pals like Iggy.

Some of my high school buddies were extras in 'Rock n Roll High School', but I thought it would be a boring way to spend a day or two, so I opted out :(

Archived