Angor Wat

Old Hippie

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Old Hippie said:

Oh, is 3 nights there enough? and what to do at night, assuming I have a Thai girl with me...?

3 nights is enough...

As for what what to do at night ( apart from the obvious :hubba: ),as it's a bit of a backpacker / tourist centre, there are plenty of restaurants & bars to hang out in, some of quite decent quality, with live music & at least one with a classy shadow puppet theatre every night.

I only stayed a couple of nights, including one where my friend and I were locked out of the hotel in the pissing rain for the best part of half an hour - fortunately I had my cellphone with me and dialled the number constantly the whole time, until the bastards woke up and let us in.

I have a feeling that this was revenge for us keeping the staff up into the wee hours and drinking ourselves stupid the night before....this Israeli chick told us over breakfast of these two Englishmen who "drank too much". :rolleyes:

Angkor Saphir Hotel.

Siem Reap, Cambodia.

E-mail: saphir@mobitel.com.kh

I stayed here. It was ~(USD) $20 a night and was decent value. The staff are very helpful. Learn a little about Angkor via the Net or this board before your trip. You can buy your history guide book when you arrive at SR - bootleg version is a couple of bucks. Then find a likeable kid with a motorcycle and have him take you around for 2 or 3 days (purchase the 3 day pass as someone suggested - it also makes a nice souvenir). Don't overlook Tonle Sap and some of the surrounding areas. Also make sure to catch at least one sunrise - well worth it.

Thais just need passport, same as you. I stayed at Hotel Tah Phrom. I pre-booked it.

There are bars and such at night. It you don't bring a TG with you, you can find some companionship at the discos. But I recommend bringing your own.

I also hired a guide and driver for the 3 days (perfect amount of time). He was a local cop. WOuld give you as much info as you wanted or would just give the basic layout and leave you to wander. Up to you. He uses his bike, or has a driver with a nice car. Name is Rieng Kim (kimrieng@yahoo.com, phone 012-920-554) Speaks good english and friendly. Sorry, don't recall rates. He met us at the airport, took us to hotel, and came back to take us to a spot for the sunset first night.

If you bring a TG, there is a good Thai restaurant. Dead Fish Tower. Interesting place, run by Thais.

All good advice. I found the rooms to be cheap, or very expensive, and not much in between. Although basic there seemed to be lots of nice cheaper places to stay, in the $5 to $20 range. I also hired a "guide" to take me around on his scooter. I belive paid I him $20 for 3 days, plus bought him lunch and dinner ect. At night Martinis is a fun but strange place. The first time there I was really freaked out. The have these girls that are representing different beers. When you sit down they just swarm you trying to get you to buy their brand. It was really strange. But once you decide on a brand they leave you alone, and the girl whose beer you did buy will spend a bit of time with you, and of course makes sure your glass is always full. Also they play standard disco music for about 45 minutes, then they break into this odd traditional dance for about 15 minutes. Its hard to explain but its sort of like cambodian line dancing. Really fun, even us none dancers can participate. Then there is no loud music for about 15 or 20 minutes so people can actualy talk. All and all a really fun night out. Another option if its still there is the dinner boat. Ancored just offshore on the lake is an old boat, actually a small ship. they have outfited it as a resteruant. Wonderful place for the sunset, and the breeze off the lake is wonderful. The food was really good, very gourmet. There are some things in Cambodia that are rather expensive. For example water is very high compared to Thailand, and over all the food is not cheap or as good as Thailand. I think anyone who spends time in SEA and doesnt go there is missing out on one of the wonders of the world. Very hot, very strange, very wonderful. and certainly not kansas anymore.

I like the Ta Prohm Hotel ( http://www.angkorhotels.org/taprohm/EN/ ).

The rooms are nice, and they have a beer garden accross the street. The girls at the front desk and lobby bar speak English and are very helpful.

The breakfast could be improved. But if you're off to see the sun rise over Angkor Wat, they will pack a box breakfast for you.

I always make reservations because I don't like to waste time looking for a hotel.

[color:"666666"]"""...the next day, or that day, grab a mini bus to Angor Wat? How much to get a mini bus, and how much for admission? Also, do Thais need any special visas?""" [/color]

If you arrive at the right time, you can go and buy your ticket that day and watch the sun set without being charged for the day.

A motorcy with driver costs around $7 per day, or you can hire a car for around $20 per day. If you have a larger group you can hire a minibus for $40 a day. If you can afford it, I suggest the car. It's nice to have the AC going for the ride between temples. It does get warm there.

You can get your visa at the Siem Reap airport, but I'm not sure about TGs.

"Angkor: An Introduction to the Temples" by Dawn F. Rooney is a pretty good book, but it's out of print. I bought mine at a bookstore that deals in only out of print stuff for around $40. Or you can pick up a copy at the market next to the Ta Prohm Hotel for $3. Or less if you're really good at bargining.

[color:"666666"]"""Oh, is 3 nights there enough? and what to do at night, assuming I have a Thai girl with me...?""" [/color]

I think I could spend 3 lifetimes there, but it really depends on how much one enjoys the temples.

Martini's is fun, but if you're taking your own... And there are a couple big hotels that put on "traditional" shows.

There are a lot of bars around the Ta Prohm Hotel, and we had fun trying them out. But there more like real bars, not the LOS go-gos or bar beers.

• 11 months later...

Archived