Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

Guys,

I have a Toshiba satellite laptop, 60 Giga, 16" screen, great computer, I use it day and night, travelled with it all over the world.

I run XP, office, Norton and nothing much else on it.

Never games, no X-rated stuff, no viruses ...... except an addiction to NP :p

BUT, it fucks up and very often when I reboot I get the (dreaded) blue screen to check C on consistency and free space.

I re-booted last saturday, last hardware I tried to connect was my scanner 2 hours ago, and :: :: it fucks up.....

What is happening and what do I need to do ?

Harddisc damaged or software damaged ? I thing the software, but with Toshiba I need to re-boot to re-load XP.

Or do I upgrade to XPpro ?

Should I quickly buy an external HD to copy daily (or weekly) my C and D ?

Could I use the external HD to re-boot the puter ?

Help pleees ( and in easy understandable words :) )

TIA !

BB

lost

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mite try defrag first and then over write ( with zeros) the resulting free space. mite kill off any nasties lurking there.

or some suspect, its something in XP that gets you to think about

an upgrade to XPpro

it fucks up and very often when I reboot I get the (dreaded) blue screen to check C on consistency and free space

If the system is not shut down in a graceful fashion (eg: something crashes), it is normal for it to do a consistency check on the next restart so that's not a problem. Note NTFS consistency checks tend to be snappy and FAT grinds away for ages. You need to focus on what's crashing; uninstall stuff till it goes away or even reinstall OS if needed.

BelgianBoy said:

Hi,

I did re-install the whole OS last saturday....... and the checks are in FAT32

Uhhhhhhh! Big warning bell! That's probably most of your trouble right there. FAT32's a pile of shit. It's only really there for backward compatibility, which you don't need. NTFS's much better, more stable and secure, in particular for large disks (which yours is). Just convert it to NTFS, as follows:

(You might care to check this process on the Internet or Windows Help but it should go something like this)

From the Start menu, choose Run, type "cmd" then press enter. That'll take you to an old style Command Prompt window. In that, type "convert c: /fs:ntfs" and press Enter. That should do the trick.

BB,

defrag every two days is overkill. every month would be more than enough.

Have you checked the partition , how many GB altogether and how many percent free space? Maybe your disk getting filled up?

Did you check your drive for errors (right click on the partition - properties - tools - error checking - click check now and check the two boxes in the pop-up). Takes some time and you'll be asked to reboot as it is the system disk.

Hopefully it returns that the drive is ok. If it returns errors on the harddrive like bad sectors think about to replace it.

Archived