Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

hi,

Windows XP Service Pack 2 is announced for June 2004. Better do not install the release candidates that are available now. Once you installed one of the release candidates you can't install the final Service Pack 2 (which will have the errors removed the users find in the release candidates), and maybe no updates available later.

I read that in a magazine about a month ago. Made me wait for the final Service Pack 2. Don't want to install XP again.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Once you installed one of the release candidates you can't install the final Service Pack 2"

Microsoft is screwed, but I do find this hard to believe.

In any event. I've changed about 20 hard drives from FAT32 to NTFS on the fly and didn't lose data, so even though you are going to back up your data, take comfort that this seems to work right.

I suspect your problem lies with the indexing service. Especially if indexing is on and you're using Fat32. I suggest going to control panel, administrative tools, and shutting the indexing service off. Indexing allows the computer to access your files faster via an index, but sometimes the index gets fucked. So when your computer boots, it looks for a file, but blue screens cause it can't find it. Boot a few more times, and those indexes go away (cause it didn't work the first time) and wallah, your computer works cause it ain't going to the index. Happens to my desktop.

<<burp>>

gummigut,

check Readme for the Beta Version of Service Pack 2 for Microsoft Windows to read for yourself.

A few lines I copy and paste to make it easier:

Important

Beta versions of software are intended only for installation in a test environment. We advise against installing and evaluating beta software on any production computers.

If you install the beta version of SP2, you must uninstall it before you install the commercially released version of the service pack.

Additional to that I read that some people had problems deinstalling SP2 RC1.

For me this is enough to wait for the final Service Pack 2 wich is scheduled for June/July. Of course everyone is free to do beta testing for M$ Just not me please

I suspect your problem lies with the indexing service. Especially if indexing is on and you're using Fat32. I suggest going to control panel, administrative tools, and shutting the indexing service off. Indexing allows the computer to access your files faster via an index, but sometimes the index gets fucked. So when your computer boots, it looks for a file, but blue screens cause it can't find it.

This is highly unlikely. Indexing is just an application like any other -- the index file is just a normal file without internal significance to FAT32 (or NTFS).

I suspect that your problem actually lies elsewhere, and that the original poster's issue is totally unrelated to the indexing service.

After reading through this thread I am still not sure what is happening.

Are you saying that your machine freezes up, and you then must do a power cycle, and upon rebooting you see the message about checking C:?

If so then that is not "the dreaded blue screen," it is proper and normal behavior -- the file system knows when the system was not shut down gracefully and performs this check accordingly, to help avoid corruption. So the issue would then be about your laptop locking up, and not about any blue screens upon booting.

Before getting into this any more, is my understanding correct?

Update

Till today the system works with -very- minor glitches, but I am still waiting 2-3 days till my external HD arrives so I can backup all data.

It takes way too long to burn the CDs and I dont trust it.

After that I will change to NTFS as well and probably re-boot the whole thing as still some little stuff missing left and richt....

If that does not work, then I fear I will have to go with a new HD for the laptop.

Today I have glitches in the E-power system, the 'search' does not work and parts of the CD driver seems to be missing.....

KH, when using specific programs, it does tend to freese up, when turning the machine back on it will then do a C check, over and over again.

BB

My guess is that your hard disk is damaged. You already did a clean install and still had problems with your puter. I am guessing that some of the drivers are written to bad sectors on your harddrive and that may seem why they are missing.

When after rebooting the PC checks the c drive, does it find any errors? Does it do any repairs or does it come up blank?

If it doesn't find anything, maybe you should try the most thorough check by clicking on My Computer, then rightclick on the C drive, go to the second tab and ask for an immediate check of your disc. Choose both options for checking and then the computer asks for a restatrt and see what it comes up with. If it doesn't find any errors then you should look elsewhere. If it does, maybe repairing the disc will lift your problems and if that doesn't work, you should google with the search terms Windows XP, freezes, and the name of the software you are using when it does freezes. See what you come up with then. If that fails as well I suggest a clean install after thoroughly checking your hard disc for any errors.

Cheers,

soongmak

soongmak,

Yes, I fear that it will be the HD after all.... :(

When rebooting, it does find some bad stuff on the C, it repairs them, and all is ok, untill next time...

And what you suggest, was suggested already by Carlton, and I get in a loop with following message :

Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

you answer yes and restart. As I said above. Then it will check the disk before actually starting XP. This can't be done while XP is running so it has to be scheduled for the next restart. Schedule it and restart. Don't forget to check both boxes in the pop-up.

I'll do a clean install after securing my data, if still shite, I will go for door # 2 and have a new HD installed :(

BB

As I said above. Then it will check the disk before actually starting XP. This can't be done while XP is running so it has to be scheduled for the next restart. Schedule it and restart. Don't forget to check both boxes in the pop-up.

So, is this when you get into a loop of continuously checking the c-drive, or does it refuse to check it on rebooting?

Archived