Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

It refuses / cannot check after re-booting and each time gives me the above mentionned text :(

Also done this a few times, resulting in the dreaded bleu screen after re-booting 'chicking for C consistency and free space' :(

Like I said, for the moment all is working 99 % (knock on wood) and will wait till all is backup'ed.

Also a full reboot takes 4-5 hours, and I have no time the next 10-12 days anyway.

BB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It refuses / cannot check after re-booting and each time gives me the above mentionned text

It is supposed to give you this message, because checkdisk can't work while XP is running. I get the same message as well.

Also done this a few times, resulting in the dreaded bleu screen after re-booting 'chicking for C consistency and free space'

LOL, that is not the dreaded blue screen, that is the checkdisk program checking your C-drive, because you told it to do so. Does it reports errors all the time?

Also a full reboot takes 4-5 hours, and I have no time the next 10-12 days anyway

Are you talking about starting up your computer here? It must be a world record then! I am beginning to think you're talking about reinstalling windows XP. Yes?

Cheers,

soongmak

Also a full reboot takes 4-5 hours, and I have no time the next 10-12 days anyway

Are you talking about starting up your computer here? It must be a world record then! I am beginning to think you're talking about reinstalling windows XP. Yes?

Yes, starting from ziltch...... XP and a few dozen other applications .... @(

BB

Yes, starting from ziltch...... XP and a few dozen other applications .... @(

I think you mean install and not reboot booting is the process of starting the computer. If your computer took 4 or 5 hours to start that would be a serious problem. Even 4-5 hours to install sounds like murder to me.

Yes, I mean re-install starting from a recovery CD supplied by Toshiba with XPhome.

Recovery would take 15-20

upgrade to pro another 20-25 min

office ( 2 CDs) would be 40-45 min

norton another 10-15, check the system another 10-15

router & wireless system another 10-15

personal settings 1 hour ??? ( can I save my desktop settings somewhere ? )

recover data 90-120 min

zonelab, skybot, banking, bla bla another tooooo long time.....

any tips ?

BB

any tips ?

Yes,

When you have your computer back in working order, buy yourself a copy of Powerquest (Oops! it's Symantec now!) Drive Image , and make a back up image of your c-drive. When your computer plays up again, you can have your computer up and running in about 10 mins. It has saved my ass on a number of occasions. :bow:

soonkaakske,

Is that similar to Norton Ghost ???

My plan is to back up my C weekly and my D daily on an external HD.

Anyway, never lost data yet......

I just spend too much time working ON the laptop instead of working WITH the laptop ! :( :( :(

BB

Yep,

it works the same. Norton Ghost is as good if not better, than drive image. The latter is more user friendly though.

My plan is to back up my C weekly and my D daily on an external HD.

I would adopt a different back up strategy if I were you. Your C-drive, which contains the OS and your programs I presume, gets "dirty" over time, because of several new programs you install and uninstall. Also, Windows is known to get slower over a time. IMO it's better to make a copy right after the clean install, so that you have a clean and crisp copy of the C-drive in working order and simply reinstall some of the programs you have added later on. In addition to the image on your C-drive, I would make weekly back ups of your email program (probably also on your C-drive).

Also, check your D drive for viruses before you back your data up to your external drive. I had to find this out the hard way.

Good luck in sorting your problems out.

Cheers,

soongmak

Yes indexing is just another "file" but it is supposed to hold the location of files so it can be found faster. On my computer this index table kept getting "corrupted" and my computer would freeze, crash and burn.

Whatever the true cause, turning off the index service stopped my computer from crashing. I've tested this several times and it's this service that gives my machine the shits :)

<<burp>>

Archived