Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

Gummi, I concur on this 'indexing' problem.......... have had that problem on a couple of machines. Resolved 'only' by turning it off.

Likewise I had had similar problems with MS Office doing the same with it's indexing........ no crashes, but slowed things down dramatically.

Have installed a new SATA 10k rpm drive and we will see if it improves speed significantly or not. ::

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there a potential problem with installing programs to a partition seperate from the system partition? If for example Windows Office is installed on the D: partition and you latter reinstall Windows on the C: partiton will the programs continue to work correctly?

Hi,

I havn't tried that with Office but I have a partition for games.

No problems after reinstalling (repair) XP. Games still working properly. So it should work with Office too. Your system partition is low on free space? Otherwise there's no need to install office to another partition me thinks.

Carlton,

I always installed the programs on my primary drive, because after a reinstall of windows I thought that all the programs would disappear from both the desktop and the Start menu. Is this true or not? If not, it might be a handy idea to install the programs on a separate partition me thinks.

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi,

"because after a reinstall of windows I thought that all the programs would disappear from both the desktop and the Start menu."

They do. I guess you could back up the corresponding directories first though and then copy them back after you've done the re-install.

However it is likely that you would still have to re-install many of the programs anyway as they might have installed DLLs in the windows dir (which were likely deleted when re-installing windows).

Sanuk!

However it is likely that you would still have to re-install many of the programs anyway as they might have installed DLLs in the windows dir (which were likely deleted when re-installing windows).

That would be my guess not to mention modifications to the registry. Sure am glad I use Linux.

That would be my guess not to mention modifications to the registry. Sure am glad I use Linux.

Good to know we have some Linux users on the board as well. I have just installed Linspire next to Windows XP to see if I like it. Haven't been able to connect to the internet though, as my cable provider has no directions on setting up a connection using Linux! :banghead:

Cheers,

soongmak

Hi,

as far as I remember with Windows 98 you really had to reinstall all software. Programs where still existing in the program files folders but the registry entries were gone.

However when you reinstall Windows XP by choosing to repair the existing installation (I assume that's what you do when you say reinstall) then most programs will run smoothly. It will not remove any dlls that do not belong to XP and not delete the registry entries of the other programs.

However if you had a program that changed or replaced system files than you'll have to reinstall the program, too. Not too many programs do that and you'll get some very big warning messages from Windows when anything tries to change system files. Won't go unnoticed.

Well, it only applies when on one of the first screens of the installation you choose to repair an existing installation. When you do a new installation to an partition where windows is already installed then you only make it worse.

And after this repair don't forget to apply service pack 1 and the other patches available.

I wish I had the same knowledge about Linux that I have about windows.

Haven't been able to connect to the internet though, as my cable provider has no directions on setting up a connection using Linux!

If you have a specific error you can usually find help by googling the exact text of the error. As far as your cable modem goes try googling <linux distribution> + <cable modem model #> + <isp> you can also ask for help at www.justlinux.com

Archived