Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks all for the replies, but I have more questions now.......

bibblies, can I just change without damage to the HD ? sure ?

Did you check your drive for errors (right click on the partition - properties - tools - error checking - click check now and check the two boxes in the pop-up). Takes some time and you'll be asked to reboot as it is the system disk.

carlton, how do you do that ???? care to explain me step by step, cos I dont find this ???

Jimmy, I did just that, all my data is safe on CD, and I re-booted last saturday, but problem is still there somewhere......

soongmak, yep, it freeses up, and takes looooong time......

Besides, should I quickly buy an external HD to copy daily (or weekly) my C and D ?

Could I use the external HD to re-boot the puter ? :dunno:

Thanks !

BB

BB

to check the harddrive for errors in Win XP one way is to go to the Windows Explorer and click on My Computer. Then you'll see all your Hard Disk drives (actually all partitions like C and D and the CD drives).

Move your mouse over partition C and right-click. Choose Properties.On the gerneral tab (thare you start disk cleanup, right?) you'll see the file system and the amount of used space and free space. If your free space is at least one GB and min 10% of the partiotion space you should be save.

Then go to the Tools tab. There you have the box for Error-checking on the top, click on the check now-button. In the pop-up there are two checkboxes, check them both and click start. System informs you that this can only be done at the next restart (because it's the system disk I think), click yes and restart your computer. Computer checks the disk when starting up and checks the disk for surface errors and consistency. Even if it takes some time have a look at the screen for any info mesages.

Happy checking. Won't hurt your computer.

carlton,

Thanks for the info...... BUT D works perfectly and C is a bummer.....

I get following text :

---------------------------

Checking Disk Local Disk (C:)

---------------------------

The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

--------------------------

So I am fucked..... at least C is, cos after rebooting I still get this message.....

Meanwhile I upgraded to XPpor, at least webcam, scanner and printer are working ok now, did not previously as 'freezing'....

Should I also risk 'upgrading' to NTFS now or wait till I have bought an external HD to backup my data ?

BTW how does one 'copy' C to an external HD ??? programfiles and stuff is not just copy & paste, right ?

*sight* and the GF is leaving in 5 hours.........

BB

nervous

BB,

as the Message says

Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?

you answer yes and restart. As I said above. Then it will check the disk before actually starting XP. This can't be done while XP is running so it has to be scheduled for the next restart. Schedule it and restart. Don't forget to check both boxes in the pop-up.

Seems that the upgrade to XP Pro solved the problems by reinstallign/reorganizing the system.

Copies of the system to another harddrive/cd/dvd isn't that easy. Some tools just copy files/folders/complete drives by ignoring windows restrictions (never used them, forgot the names) so you can copy single files. Others make backups of drives (Acronis True Image, Powerquest Drive Image) and are able to do incremental backups of these drives later on. There you can't access the single files in the backup, only after reinstalling the backup. They are not thought for daily backups.

You're on the right track, create a backup first and convert to NTFS afterwards.

So GF is leaving. More time to kill, you might as well start with the puter...

Btw, you said your externals like webcam weren't working properly before. You ever checked the device manager? I assume these are connected via USB and for some of these devices you need to reinstall drivers when you connect them to another USB port of your computer.

Carlton,

Thanks for the reply.....

Disc check : thats the funny part, it does NOT start after a re-start.... tried that 4-5 times, no way.

Backing up, I am not there yet, will see when that happens, at least I'll have a daily copy of data instead of burning it weekly on CD.

As for drivers, that is what I fear the problem, even after I re-booted last saturday, I had drivers missing..... :dunno:

But I will have my computer guy have a look next week, untill then -knock on wood- it works....

Yes and the GF leaving sucks ( no pun :( )

More time online....

BB

No offence to those trying to help here (there are some experts here) but I've found Microsoft newsgroups helpful for solving MS computing problems. You'll receive quick responses to specific questions.

Outlook Express has a newsreader built in.

msnews.microsoft.com has many newsgroups that are specific i.e. software, hardware.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics would be a good place to start.

It took me awhile to figure out that when you are prompted to subscribe to a newsgroup it doesn't mean you pay a monthly subscription fee.

When configuring a newsgroup account be sure to use a fake email address to avoid spam.

It's already been said but I would backup, clean install XP Pro formatting the drive with NTFS during the installation. (Using a utility like My Drivers to backup drivers beforehand can be helpful.)

Archived