Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

Carlton,

Like I said, it seems bits and pieces of Windows are gone :dunno:

keekwai,

No offence taken, just that on those newsgroups most are geeks and I would not understand what they would say.......

Could you clarify why I would need to backup my drivers ??? I am a bit lost here.....

Sofar on XPpro en still on FAT32 here, waiting to jump to NTFS afer I buy an external HD to back up the data & more.

BB

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BB,

after you upgraded to Win XP Pro don't forget to install Service Pack 1 and then all the other patches via Windows Update.

Can't think of bits and pieces missing as your upgrade to XP Pro should have reinstalled all system files.

But if you're to see your computer nerd next week he'll figure if something's wrong.

XP comes with the majority of drivers necessary but especially in the case of notebooks there are specialized drivers for keyboard, mouse and display. Those drivers ship with the original software installed on your notebook (but may be included with XP).

I don't know from a technical point of view exactly what a driver does but they are necessary for your hardware to function properly.

A driver backup utility should quickly locate all the drivers on your computer. It will tell you which come with XP and the ones which are specific to your computer. You create a backup for these drivers and then latter if a device does not function properly you direct your hardware manager to look in your backup location for the appropriate driver. Not as complex as it may sound.

1. check for errata specific to your computer googling the model number should be enough to confirm if other people are having your problem.

2. check the manufactures web site for updated software and drivers specific to your computer. usually updated drivers will mention the problems they are intended to solve

3. back up any important files but as far as im concerned if you restore a broken computer from a full system backup you get a broken computer

4. convert the file system from FAT32 to NTFS. NTFS is vastly superior and maybe thats the source of the problem.

5. dont tweek on the defragging I wouldn't be surprised if thats what caused the problem.

6. if the problem persists do a clean reinstall of the system. Your laptop probably came with a system restore disk, start with that, then add any windows service packs and any updated drivers from toshiba for your laptop. lastly install third party software, but don't do it all at once. If a bit of third party software is causing the problem you will be right back where you started if you install everything in one fell swoop.

HTH

Just do the convert. I've done it on quite a few PCs - it's easy, it won't hurt or muck up. In fact, it's very boringly undramatic and uneventful... ...But you won't mind that - you're Belgian! :)

(If you wanted some measure of how safe conversion to NTFS is - well, it's as safe a bet as bibblies's next reply to a flyonzewall post being a nasty sarcastic one. ::)

:)

but lemme wait 3-4 days till I have that HD to back up 100 % of all my files....... working fine now !

Carlton, yes, I did download all those Windows patches, I made sure to do so..... sofar it runs smoothly, but I know the beast is still there lurking.....

BTW, my putergeek wont be coming, but he will give me Norton ghost to backup/copy my C-drive.

Anybody familiar with that ?

BB

Sounds like you're having a hellish time there.

With Ghost make sure you make a ghost system floppy disk, then boot to that and copy/clone the entire disk, dont worry about the partitions, Ghost will do all that for you. If you try cloning while in windows you'll have problems when booting to XP on the new hard disk.

Just a thought, have you tried scanning for spyware/trojans etc? It can slow a machine down dramatically.

I would install Windows XP - latest version.

Install - believe 2 service packs. There are also programs from microsoft that will check for specific viruses. Reinstall all other software. If possible - upgrade to the latest versions and get service packs for them also.

You might want to install a UPS and also look at the power supply in the computer. Does the problem occur after being used for a while, turned off and then re-booted?

Archived