Harddisk or software

BelgianBoy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BOOM !!!!!!!!!!!

It worked all ok for a few weeks, and in the middle of chatting with the GF, all freezes up.......

Ok, no problem, I close skype, re-open it and cannot due to corrupt files, all what I use show corrupt files, re-start laptop and cannot go on the net anymore as it cannor recognise the router :( :( :(

After some gymnastics, I do manage to copy all data, and no other option than to to a big re-install *again*...........

All works ok again *sigh*..........

BB

BB,

I hope you have run and are running some anti-adware software in the background. Your problems seems to suggest a host of adware on your machine. Very common here, disinfected 2 machines today with similar problems.

If not.......

First run 'Spybot Search and Destroy' then make sure using that program that you go to the "Tools" then 'BHO's' and 'Browser pages', finally use the 'Startup tool' When in these tools just NUKE anything you do not recognise as legit. Especially things like 'omegasearch' or others that end in search as these are all browser hijackers.

Then reboot and run 'SPySweeper'........ it will probably find a couple more. WARNING.... some of these files may be found but cannot be removed as they are running in resident memory. To do so requires removing them manually from the windows register via DOS. :) that's what I get paid to do.

and as has been mentioned before reinstalls and backups won't help if the hijackware is already in memory and thus in your restore program in XP. To do that, one needs to disable the XP restore, reboot the machine, thus clearing the restore points and then reactivate the restore points. Clear as Borscht eh?

Now i have given away too many backroom secrets :banghead:

Uncle,

Yep, running Spybot and Zonelab...... all neat and clear here....... I just fear its really a hardware problem and that my HD is damaged.....

Problem is that today ( euhhhh... yesterday thursday ) is a holiday here, friday all will be closed incl the weekend.....

I will survive till monday :)

Thanks for the tips.

BB

of to bed

Archived