Royal Thai Mint

I'm not sure if this belongs under "General;" but, let me first say that the Royal Thai Mint does a superb job in the minting process of new coinage ... not sure who makes the currency (attractive as well). The average quality of newly released coins far exceeds that produced by the American Mint(s), hands down! ... coins in the States can be heavily 'bagmarked,' even though uncirculated. On the other hand, new coins I am handed as change in the Kingdom (well. when I was in BKK, especially on Skytrain) really catch my eye ... very eye appealing, sometimes proof-like in appearance! ... well struck & evenly struck the vast majority of the time. I sometimes got 10 Bt. Commemoratives!

I drove to Chaiyaphum (and beyond!) last December. Somewhere, emerging from the Bangkok sprawl on the main road to Khorat, I saw I sign on my left that indicated that the Royal Thai Mint was located there. Does anyone know exactly where the Royal Thai Mint is located? I wasn't paying attention to the location, so if anyone can give me a location (and directions) - (just after Rangsit?) ... I'd love to take a tour of the Mint someday, assuming that they do indeed offer tours.

The "Satang(s) debate:" ... 'they're' losing so much money minting these (hardly used, except for annoying change) coins, although, they are pretty! The obvious, cost savings solution would be to stop minting the Satang(s); and, round off to the nearest Baht. ? ... any studies publicized to indicate the cost savings, which I'm sure would be quite substantial?

Links most humbly appreciated.

Thanks for the link, etc.

Curious ... before/other than the Euro, what was Belgian

coinage like (comments on paper money appreciated as well)?

I used to see French gold pieces that were beautiful in design ... perhaps the inspiration for Augustus St. Gaudens - designer and engraver of the St. Gauden's U.S. $20.00 gold, "double eagle" (eagle was $10.).

Any board member old enough to remember the days in the Old West when a $5 gold piece (Liberty type) plopped down on the bar got you a room, bath, whiskey & lady? ...

whatever happened to the true spirit of sanuk in America?

... I've heard storys!

<<Any board member old enough to remember the days in the Old West when a $5 gold piece (Liberty type) plopped down on the bar got you a room, bath, whiskey & lady? ...

whatever happened to the true spirit of sanuk in America?>>

Now your beggining to sound like GoldenMan!

JB

New Petchburi Pete said:

Thanks for the link, etc.

Curious ... before/other than the Euro, what was Belgian

coinage like (comments on paper money appreciated as well)?

Belgian Francks ?

Coins were ok, nice, cute, nothing special.

Paper money was top of the range foolproof quality, one of the most difficult to counterfeit.

Actually lots of the built-in security with the Euro-money comes from The Belgium Central bank.

Same as the Belgium stamps, very high quality.

Then again, I use the money to pay the bills, and stamps to lick them :p and stick them to envelops........

BB

Actually lots of the built-in security with the Euro-money comes from The Belgium Central bank.

Aha! That's why we get flooded with counterfeit Euro-bills. We have supermarkets here who scan every bill, that's how bad the situation is. I want my dutch guilders back!

Archived