football fan

Thai Premier Pays $115 Mln for Liverpool Stake, Thai Rath Says

BANGKOK: -- A group of Thai businessmen headed up by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has agreed to pay 4.6 billion baht ($115 million) for a stake of about 30 percent in English Premiership soccer club Liverpool, Thai Rath newspaper reported on its Web site, citing Deputy Commerce Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal.

The deal will be signed tomorrow in Bangkok, Pongsak was quoted as saying. Pongsak represented the Thais in negotiations with Liverpool's management, the newspaper said.

Thaksin wants Liverpool to help promote professional soccer in Thailand, it said.

Thaksin on March 17 denied newspaper reports saying he was in talks to buy shares in Liverpool. His family was ranked the second richest in Thailand, with a net worth of $1 billion in 2002, according to Forbes Magazine.

(Thai Rath, 5-9; Web site www.thairath.co.th)

Hi,

>>>>>>His family was ranked the second richest in Thailand, with a net worth of $1 billion in 2002, according to Forbes Magazine.<<<<

Jeeze, who was the first richest?

HT

Hi HT,

Thaksin is not included in the list of 2004, but 2 thais are:

342 Dhanin Chearavanont & family 64 1.7 Thailand Thailand , Bangkok

356 Chaleo Yoovidhya -- 1.6 Thailand Thailand

Forbes

elef

Guest lazyphil

Was a time I was totally obsessed with Liverpool (rather like CS and Arsenal!), long gone now (might put my old Liverpool kit bag; circa 1979 lurking in my house someplace on ebay, must be worth something!), anyway, Bill Shankly would turn in his grave if he could see Thai tycoons with no feeling for the heart of Liverpool FC buying chunks of the club just to gain some sort of twisted Thai style merit/face in by doing so, not really angry, more saddened to what football has become :(

Archived