Tagalog - now *thats* my kind of foreign lge !

gobbledonk

If you've suffered the slings and arrows of learning a language such as Thai or Mandarin, you'll know that its tough going. I try to watch the Mandarin news on SBS each morning, and its mostly a blur, but thats followed by the Phillipines news - fantastic ! I dont speak a word of Tagalog, but between the vision and the fact that they randomly insert English into almost every sentence means that I can usually follow the story.

I know this will probably annoy the purists out there, but Tagalog gets my vote for best foreign language :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
artiew said:

If you've suffered the slings and arrows of learning a language such as Thai or Mandarin, you'll know that its tough going. I try to watch the Mandarin news on SBS each morning, and its mostly a blur, but thats followed by the Phillipines news - fantastic ! I dont speak a word of Tagalog, but between the vision and the fact that they randomly insert English into almost every sentence means that I can usually follow the story.

I know this will probably annoy the purists out there, but Tagalog gets my vote for best foreign language :)

I always thought the best foreign language for an Australian to try and master was English :cover:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA .....

If I didnt know better LHL, I'd swear you were baiting me ::

True story - sitting in a bar with a Yorkshireman, two Swedes and a BG. After an hour or so of conversation on a variety of topics, we got onto the subject of accents, and I naturally remarked that it must be hard for the girls to get used to our different 'versions' of the same language. Yorky's GF, who had said little throughout the night, suddenly turned to him and said 'He is much easier to understand than you !'.

I rest my case :)

"30 Filipino's on a bus/tram on a sunday in Hong Kong"

Yeah you have to love those Sundays in Central, you can hear this wall of noise that sounds like a giant flock of seagulls ( the bird not the band) sqawking away. You turn the corner and there in front of you are hundreds and hundreds of Filipino domestic helpers all on their day off...... is quite a sight and an assualt on the ear drums.

artiew said:

BB, I suspect that he means a cacophony of sound.

Sorry, couldnt resist. ::

Funny that ...... I transliterated from French where it is une cacaphonie...... hence I couldnt resist.

But I stand corrected, I just learned another word :p

BB

Archived