Qantas Announce Fuel Surcharge Today

Torneyboy

Troy,

Sure I see and definitely understand your point, but I cannot agree with it :p

FlyP,

Yes, agree that wages are low, so instead of free tickets, ask for a decent wage then, but that is a separate discussion.

TB,

FF are a totally different subject, when paying tickets one can earn miles, it is a kind of discount for frequent customers, what is wrong with that ???? if instead of giving FF, I would accept a discount every day......

BB

with goldcard (of course)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed, the reason we fly first class is to get away from the low paid underclass. Having these buffoons inpinge on our personal space is an abomination that no self respecting captain of industry should suffer. Just the thought of these cretans quaffing a quality chardonay makes my skin crawl.

I am not defending Qantas in particular but the right of any company, airlines imcluded, to make profits. These profits are not for the general public but as I said before for the shareholders.

Really?

Record profits for a national carrier that gets all sorts of tax breaks should not lead to some discounts for passengers?

Perhaps insted of trying to impress investors with rich dividends for years on end, they should have put away a portion to cover rises in the cost of fuel. This sort of an expense is hardly unpredictable.

As for freebies, most jobs have perks, but freebies for brothers and sisters who have never worked a day for the firm are ridiculous.

Ax them before taxing paying passengers! :down::banghead: :onfire:

I would ask questions of their risk management and energy trading teams as future fuel requirements are or should be hedged out so that short term prices rises are immaterial.

Long term, purchasing derivatives today to hedge future fuel needs will be more expensive than six months ago but if prices fall back, then do you think Qantas or any of the others will reward passengers with a price cut ? Of course, with yield management the norm these days (outside Thailand), you will never see any reduction.

.....with yield management the norm these days (outside Thailand), you will never see any reduction.

This depends on the competition. Why would they reduce the airfares if there is no pressure to do so. Only a fool makes such decision. If competition is there an adjustment in fare follows automatically.

Hi BB

Re discount.

Regular /good clients and or some corporate clients do get a discount...is` the nature of the ""ground war'' between franchise agents and others ..as well as direct sales to the Airlines.

So ..put the`screws`on your agent?....or shop around should be able to get some sort of reduction.

Re FF ...also discounts ..i remember getting a Hongkong FF seat for 40k Points instead of the usual 80K last year.

jp1 said:

This depends on the competition. Why would they reduce the airfares if there is no pressure to do so. Only a fool makes such decision. If competition is there an adjustment in fare follows automatically.

No pressure? No competition?

I suggest you have a word with Richard Branson...

Disclaimer: Qantas is an equal opportunity employer.

torneyboy said:

Hi

I thought the oil per barrel went down?

Similar scenario to when I was ranting on about the banks the other day in another thread..When the price of oil and interest rates go up you'll be paying them the next day.When they go down we all have to wait for the meeting in the middle of the next month so they can discuss it before lowering them at the end of the following month :(.

Can't see why Qantas put out a statement they would be raising their prices $30 Syd-London. That's $30 on a $2000 ticket. Doubt anyone would realise if they simply upped the prices a bit. TB will tell you there's plenty of different rates a flight is charged at.

If Qantas is too expensive, do what I do. Fly Thai! Better FFlyers program (Star), better service (I've heard), same result (they get you there).

Qantas has always been up there with BA as the most expensive airline. Why should that change now?

Archived