Qantas Announce Fuel Surcharge Today

Torneyboy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
torneyboy said:

Qantas say that fuel prices are the highest in over fourteen years and must pass on the cost to the public.

Funny that, can't recall them passing on record profits to the public?

Surely the investors could dig into their deep pockets. :cussing::banghead: :onfire: :(

Roppongi said:
torneyboy said:

Qantas say that fuel prices are the highest in over fourteen years and must pass on the cost to the public.

Funny that, can't recall them passing on record profits to the public?

Surely the investors could dig into their deep pockets. :cussing::banghead: :onfire: :(

ack

Ha ha ...fat chance.

Backlash by the buying public may be at hand :doah:

Just what we need ..

torneyboy said:

Backlash by the buying public may be at hand :doah:

TB, not much anyone can do. Gov't-backed monopoly that is as friendly to competition as a BG in the Nana carpark.

Rappongi.......Buy stock in a public company and you will reap the profits. Name any company in the world that will just hand you some money cuz they made money in a quarter. The record profits you talked about being handed to the public were handed to you in the form of ridiculously cheap tickets. As an airline employee, the last effort to make money came from the public. They raped their employees first in the form of asking for pay, vacation, holidays and more back from what was negotiated. I, for one, voted no before and lost and will vote no again. I say, take from the customer just as the government does in raising taxes in all forms. Bitch about them first. I don't like Mr. Big, the airline, either, but they are just trying to make a profit after losing 100's of millions the last few years. Give em a friggin break.

Hi Troy, we're talking about Qantas here, not United.

Ridiculously cheap tickets? NEVER!

Qantas losing 100s of millions? NEVER!

I do have sympathy for you guys working in the industry in the US but a few years before 9/11 didn't the Mr. Bigs there pilfur profits that should have been put under a pillow for a rainy day?

Roppongi said:

I do have sympathy for you guys working in the industry in the US but a few years before 9/11 didn't the Mr. Bigs there pilfur profits that should have been put under a pillow for a rainy day?

Hi Roppongi,

I worked 9 years for an all cargo airline and indeed in the profitable years my boss the VP of finance hid money away in "provision accounts" (these accounts are to pay future invoices for obtained services such as overflying, landing and handling fees) This meaning he "overprovisionned" some of these accounts.

After Gulfwar I there was a slump in cargo activity and we were loosing money (fuel was up to similar record hights and we waited around one year after hike before reluctanlty passing the increase to customers)

My boss emptied the provision accounts, and in the first year managed to show a small profit although we lost 10 million USD in reality (for a small airline company flying 5 Boeing 747/200F's). The following year staff was asked to accept a salary reduction....

Around 1980, before I joined that company they were close to bancruptcy, they could hardly pay employees salaries.

It is not an easy industry...many airlines get busted.

Archived