Qantas Announce Fuel Surcharge Today

Torneyboy

Thanks for the insight Thalenoi. I don't doubt it's a tough industry in the US or Europe, where you actually have competition. But in Australia, where Qantas has been allowed to monopolize the market for decades, it's a different ball game compeletely.

Anyhow some recent background for you and Troy.

Leaner Qantas eyes near-record profits

First half profits of Aus$300 million!

I wonder if relatives of employees still get their free flights?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roppongi said:

Thanks for the insight Thalenoi. I don't doubt it's a tough industry in the US or Europe, where you actually have competition. But in Australia, where Qantas has been allowed to monopolize the market for decades, it's a different ball game compeletely.

Anyhow some recent background for you and Troy.

Leaner Qantas eyes near-record profits

First half profits of Aus$300 million!

I wonder if relatives of employees still get their free flights?

Yep....but not free!!!!! Must pay the Taxes ::

While ABN Amro expects Qantas to meet its target of slashing $350 million in costs over 2003-04, the investment bank said there was still a "question mark" over the flagged $650 million in cuts over 2004-05, which it said were still largely contingent on union approval.

What this means is what I stated earlier.....after they have raped their employees, they go after the customer. They should be doing this in the opposite order. That article you linked stated they have asked the unions for 100's of millions of dollars back. My airline has had record load factors this year but continue to lose money at a staggering rate. We figured the other day, if they would raise the ticket prices 1 dollar, just 1 dollar, we would have posted a profit. Take from the customer rather than the employees who make the airline is all I am getting at. Greedy sons-of-bitches.

Hi

Not sure how they (Qantas) do it.

Have just launched a new domestic carrier called Jetstar...to rival ..no make that kill off Virgin Blue in Oz.

39 and 49 dollars a ticket to our major cities.....commission of 7% to me...just not worth the effort ..we don't book them at all.

Also have a launch of an Asian route carrier as well ...wtf?

Give us a good commission and ""service"" and the cash will roll in...no room for these extra services...

:cussing:

Troy we're both getting the shaft mate.

Only Qantas rapes it passengers a bit deeper than its employees, and I have cousins and old neighbors all on the payroll to prove it.

One's a senior flight director with 30 years experience and he's been crying for years that it ain't what it was -- limited stop overs, less days off etc -- so it makes you wonder how great the good ol' days were?

But you'd think that if they have to pass on the cost of higher fuel to passengers, they could at least make the *kin* of employees pay at least half for their ticket.

Toyota and Matsushita Electronics' employees only get minimal discounts on their products. Relatives get sweat FA, as they should.

As I said on another Qantas-related post, how can a 8hr flight from Tokyo to Sydney cost three times as much as a 14hr flight from Tokyo to NY?

torneyboy said:

Hi

Not sure how they (Qantas) do it.

Have just launched a new domestic carrier called Jetstar...to rival ..no make that kill off Virgin Blue in Oz.

39 and 49 dollars a ticket to our major cities.

Sounds familiar.

Rival carriers forced to the back paddocks of the airport, one bus for 300 odd passengers, luggage takes 40 minutes to appear...

TB, how they do it is they'll gladly wear the loss for 1-2 years just to eliminate the competition and then it's back to $800 for a flight to Perth -- ONE WAY!

TroyinEwa1 said:

Take from the customer rather than the employees who make the airline is all I am getting at. Greedy sons-of-bitches.

Who makes an airline other than passengers ?????

Employees make it sound like it theirs..... funny that.

The very last time I flew Sabena before it was bankrupted by Swiss, I was in business.

Around me I had 5 mechanics flying for free, I paid through the nose to get less service than them, and they behaved like assholes.

Like Roppongi-san pointed out, why give employees benefits at all at their place of employment ?????

BB

>As I said on another Qantas-related post, how can a 8hr flight from Tokyo to Sydney cost three times as much as a 14hr flight from Tokyo to NY?

Try Brisbane-Port Moresby, QF351: 1600A$ (1100US$) , 4 hours flight.

And you know already, NRT-SYD QF planes are the oldest ones, withdrawn from QF1 (SYD-LHR) line. There is strong competition.

NRT-SYD, no competition at premier times.

My colleague who goes there twice a month had all sorts of troubles: a plane would not retract it's nose leg, would not suck the fuel into one of the engines. Out of 60 flights he saw problems on five.

Still, I like QF, at least the pilots are honest and speak about turbulences ahead. Their safety record keeps me thinking they are still a premier airline.

think_too_mut said:

My colleague who goes there twice a month had all sorts of troubles: a plane would not retract it's nose leg, would not suck the fuel into one of the engines. Out of 60 flights he saw problems on five.

Still, I like QF, at least the pilots are honest and speak about turbulences ahead. Their safety record keeps me thinking they are still a premier airline.

TTM, totally agree, great pilots, but with management taking short cuts on maintenance, I wonder if D-Day ain't too far away. Disgruntled airline employees don't make for great safety records.

They also have one of the worst frequent flyer programs around.

But I'll still fly with them, don't have much choice do we???

Archived