Qantas Announce Fuel Surcharge Today

Torneyboy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BB,

long time ago I worked in an international group. My boss was a boardmember of an airline. His blue card gave him unlimited free first class tickets with all IATA-airlines, also including wife and children (just underage I guess) all that for rest of his life!

Roppongi said:

Troy we're both getting the shaft mate.

Only Qantas rapes it passengers a bit deeper than its employees, and I have cousins and old neighbors all on the payroll to prove it.

One's a senior flight director with 30 years experience and he's been crying for years that it ain't what it was -- limited stop overs, less days off etc -- so it makes you wonder how great the good ol' days were?

But you'd think that if they have to pass on the cost of higher fuel to passengers, they could at least make the *kin* of employees pay at least half for their ticket.

Toyota and Matsushita Electronics' employees only get minimal discounts on their products. Relatives get sweat FA, as they should.

As I said on another Qantas-related post, how can a 8hr flight from Tokyo to Sydney cost three times as much as a 14hr flight from Tokyo to NY?

Hi

Dont forget the load factor..plus cargo.

No pax and not much cargo whom is going to pay for the flight?

Re relatives etc: have a fax today offer of ..me (agent) and four friends SYD/BKK valid till march 2005......449AUD per person..ok not free but pretty close to it

Four tickets hey mate?

You travel agents are the backbone of the industry, considerate friendly folks, always offering great deals, ... out of Sydney too hey mate... so aggh, buddy, how about we round up the lads, Artiew, Norflaxacin, Fly and my good self and at 33,000 feet shoot the shit over a few VBs about the grand ol' days of travel agents being the life and blood of the economy, the hard yakka you guys put in for us the little men...

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I await my beloved shinkansen (bullet train) to extend services to BKK -- 12 to 18 hrs perhaps, but in civilized comfort. Kobe beef bentos, Peking Duck, Beer Lao, ST and LT rooms.

My day will come, and screw Qantas. :up:

elef said:

Hi BB,

long time ago I worked in an international group. My boss was a boardmember of an airline. His blue card gave him unlimited free first class tickets with all IATA-airlines, also including wife and children (just underage I guess) all that for rest of his life!

Fuck that, whos ass do I need licking to get a card like that ???? :p

BB

blueless

BB....I am using the logic that you take from where the most money is coming from. I compare it to the government, a bit. Is the government gonna tax the citizens or cut pay to the employees? This may not be the best example but the money the airline makes is from the customer. Charge them a few more bucks per ticket rather than stealing, yes I said stealing, from the employees. I gave, unwillingly, to my company 12 years ago in the form of pay, vacation and holidays in return for stock which was to be paid a guaranteed sum 10 years later. Well......guess who got fucked? ME. Haven't seen dime one yet, 2 years overdue. Charge the customer and keep the employees who I will say again, make the airline, happy. And that is not just me saying that.....that is my wonderful CEO. He couldn't do it without us, he says........what a prick.

39 and 49 dollars a ticket to our major cities.....commission of 7% to me...just not worth the effort ..we don't book them at all

Maybe not worth it at the time, TB... but think of the big picture. (Not having a "professional dig" at you in any way here, just making a few points, ok?)

When I was a consultant at Flight Centre, (and please don't start a slanging match about Flight Centre consultants being cowboys - been there, don't that enough times on ed-yo's, travel insudtry functions etc and am over it big time), but the policy was "take care of any customer and give them good service whatever it is they want to buy and regardless of the cost". This philosophy works. Believe me. To give you an example, I booked a guy on a Virgin Blue fare when they first started up that was $99.00 return ADL-MEL-ADL. Two weeks later he came back and booked a $18,000 round-the-world holiday for him and his wife and told me he came back because I was the only agent who gave him good service, (and in fact any service), when he wanted to book his Virgin Blue flight. No other agent would do it for him. So those small bookings can and do pay off.

Maybe this is why Flight Centre makes so much more money than any other in the Australian industry, and the consultants earn about twice as much as anyone in the industry.

Sure, there's some cowboy consultants in the company, I'll be the first to admit that, but there are also a lot of very good consultants who give great service there too. Its so hard to make a buck as a travel consultant these days with the internet getting bigger and bigger etc. etc, I would think every booking counts.

The attitude of a lot of travel agents these days leaves a lot to be desired. And the service level is shite - not just Flight Centre either! Of course, logic says the biggest company is going to get the most complaints.

Fly P.

Archived