need "wai" tips

Do Thais get offended when non Thais "wai" to Thais ?

When a bar girl "wai", do you "wai" back ? Also the girls who open doors for you at the hotels ?

I'm not Thai but should I "wai" to my Thai 101 teacher who is Thai ? How high/low should I position my hands ?

Thanks.

Many stick to the golden rule of not to wai anyone at all, a nod of the head in response does not cause any offence. Wai mistakes are not likely to upset, more likely to amuse and mark you out as an ignorant falang. I try to just wai monks if it comes up but only in wats, and parents of a GF. Countless times though in the past I just forget and have given a wai to the wrong people. Should be for those of higher status and older people.I think if returning a wai from person of lower status you give the lowest response. There are three hand positions the higher the more respect. Seems that there are not so many offered from thais given in thanks these days, 7/11 and CD shops being a couple of exceptions-peter

I agree with BB but if you must, never Wai first and always Wai your Wai a little lower than theirs unless they're a monk, royalty or similar.

But this is only my take.

Cheers

Coss

I can tell you what I do - not what is the "correct" response......

"When a bar girl "wai", do you "wai" back" - very very rarely and only if drunk - however they do get a smile and an acknowledgement (usually a brief nod and a hearty Sawadee Khrap).

I think I am not alone as a Farang in not being entirely comfortable with the "wai" - apart from the difficulty of knowing when and who to, I do not like bowing my head to anyone or even someone bowing to me (I guess for me it is not so much a greeting or sign of respect, but a sign of subserviance - no doubt a cultural hang up :D)

As a tourist I very rarely am in situations where I need to interact with Thais on a "normal" basis, I am guessing that if working or doing business in Thailand that it would be something you do need to learn to some degree.

>>>never Wai first and always Wai your Wai a little lower than theirs unless they're a monk, royalty or similar<<<

in a simple everyday situation you are supposed to wai first someone who is older than you. someone who is younger is supposed to wai you first.

have a look in the arts section there a post of mine about a movie got into a discussion on wai, it called i think "the belly of the biest BWAHAHAHA".

anyhow, if you are a tourist you will hardly come into a situation of where you have to make a wai. and if, than most definately you will be with a thai who will understand that you don't know about, and he/she will tell when and where you should wai.

basically, if you don't have anyone really teaching you about the wai, better don't do it. most definately you will otherwise end up embarassing yourself and serving as an amusement for lots of people.

if someone in a bar wais you, acknowledge it with a friendly nod of the head and a smile.

my gutfeeling says that as he is the father in law, the son in law has to wai first regardless of the age due to the hirarchal position within the family structure. i have to check with the missus though when she's back from upcountry to make sure.

a similar, but far more complicated situation was when i noticed a few years ago that an older cousin was waing a younger cousin, and adressed her as "pi".

the explanation was that the father of the older cousin was the younger brother of the father of the younger cousin. so the older cousin had to follow the family lineage and not the actual age.

very fucking complicated! :doah: ::

it still beats me how those people here can have hundreds of relatives in their head, and know also the exact hirarchal positions with the the family lineage in which each are related to the other.

one question i have learned not to ask anymore to my missus is how some relative is related to her. the answer than is usually some geneological dissertion which makes mush of out of me brain.

Archived