Miss Red's Halftime Trip Report. May 2004

Redbaron

It's been 3 months since Miss Red touched down in Australia for the second time. Last year, she arrived at the end of May, just in time to spend the coldest four weeks of her life with me. This time, she was in time to spend a few warmer weeks in February and March, and is now half way through her six month visa. Timing's never been one of my strong points, and bad planning as usual, has deemed she spend the bulk of her visit in the winter time. All things considered it's been pretty smooth sailing.

Landing at Tullamarine was a bit hairy - the girl in front of us was taken away by immigration for questioning, and the guy behind us was behaving like a right twat. Miss Red was questioned briefly, but when they saw she'd been here before, we were waved through no problems. Strange thing was, I was asked how long I'd be in the country for. Wonder why they care?

Again, the first few weeks were spent visiting the family, and catching up. Miss Red was happy to see her favourite Thai restaurant up the road still going strong. Apparently the chinatown places don't make the grade.

The little red car I ordered last time she was here was given the nod of approval, (it arrived days after she left last year) and she seems to like playing DJ on the CD player when we go for a drive. The drive from our place up to Melbourne city, along the bay is one of her favourites, especially as the lights come on of an evening over the water. Driving over one of the bridges at night even I was surprised to see how Melbourne's city skyline has changes over the years. It's amazing how much of your own city you don't appreciate, and don't realise how interesting it can be until you are showing someone new around.

Farang food has been accepted by the better half too. Steak, roast lamb, pork chops, sausages, hot dogs and hamburgers have all been accepted along with pizza, fish & chips and pasta too. Strange how she can't stand Chinese food though, even though her father's chinese. Obviously we have a balance of some Thai food as well. Each day, when I'm at work she cooks lunch for herself, and anyone else who may be around (my mum, sister, aunts - whoever), even my stepfather who hardly ever strays from very very boring and plain tasting food, has come to enjoy the odd Thai stirfry.

Miss Red and I used to joke a lot about her cooking abilities, or lack thereof. Each and every trip to Thailand, she never cooked once, as it was her aunt's 'job' in the household, and aparently she had a bit of a name for being a good cook in the village. A niece was definately not allowed to cook on her own, but she was permitted to help on occasion. Maybe a face thing.

Any concerns I had were put to rest a few days after we arrived back. Auntie Lek taught her well, she's one of those people who seem to have the midas touch when it comes to cooking. Red, green, yellow curries, massamam, soups, salads and laarp. Fish, chicken, pork, beef even a Thai version of lamb. All done on the BBQ with the lot. Fantastic. Lately she's been combining a bit of farang food with Thai style cooking (started with the lamb) - it's all going well, look out for a Miss Red cookbook soon.

Shopping has been an experience. Unlike Thailand, in farangland people whilst at the shops are in a bit of a hurry. Miss Red doesn't seem to grasp this concept, especially at the weekends, and simply meanders around at her own leisurely, Thai pace. "Chasing the Buffalo" as she puts it, just isn't done in her book. This can cause some frustrations to the other shoppers. To her credit though, she has been able to navigate her way around the MBK sized shopping centre well, and find all her ingredients she needs to whip up another batch of her fantastic curries.

Traveling around Melbourne and Victoria has been a good laugh too. Miss Red didn't seem to realise how big Australia is and thinks it's funny so few people live in such a vast continent. Also that in a daytrip or a weekend away, we rarely stray more than an inch from Melbourne on the map of Australia. As seems to be the case with everyone - she loves the animals. Highlights have been the zoo, wildlife sanctuaries, safari parks and hunting for dolphins and whales on the beaches.

As winter starts to approach, we're tossing up the idea of checking out the snowfields. Of course she's never seen snow before, and is keen enough to see some. Surely it would be fun, but the temperature does bother her. We'll see what happens.

Another part of the plan was for Miss Red to spend a bit of time with me in the shack I'm building. As luck would have it, there have been delays getting the land ready, and it's now at the stage where while she might see it completed, the chances of her sleeping one night in there are gone - even if they are ready tomorrow. Mai pen rai. Shit happens. She doesn't seem to mind the box I live in now, and we did know there was a chance it wouldn't happen in time.

The upside to all this is we're free to travel around Australia a bit more, if and when my boss allows it, and now she's seen a lot of Melbourne and Victoria, Sydney's on the cards once I can get a week off.

So far so good...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a direct cut and paste of the better half's side of the story:

Miss Red in Australia. 2547

Now 92 day am i in Australia everything is going well .

18 Febauary 2004 in the morning lost heart a bit leave Thailand again for 6 month. Excited when am i to Australia airport not to hard but not easy to came here for i am think everything good luck. Start at Australia ambussy in Thailand everything is going well am so glad and happy when i get Visa it mean i can come Australia a beautiful county. Though lost heart to leave my mum and everyone in Thailand again.

Australia on 19 Febauary 2547

Wekup in the morning a bit cold not warm like Thailand. Happy so much i am in Auatrali true not dream and K Redbaron my husband give me big smile and big kiss x x x feel very happy. Yep we are still in Catherin house K Redbaron's sister she take we are from airport lastnight beautiful is she. Not sure what time we leave Catherin house to meet K Redbaron father to say hello on first. Good he's still look young not to same 50 year old and meet K Redbaron young sister she beautiful. Not to lond we are say goodby. 5.30pm we are in mum house yep we are stay here excited. After say hello K Redbaron mum and her's husband we had tea and talking. K Redbaron show everything buy from Thailand.Yep am i still excited.

Day after day and everyday to now in Australia am i happy. Alway K Redbaron day off we muct to go outside to show me around the please i need to go. And yep i am Thailand woman one day on the weeken we are cooking thaifood. K Redbaron alway help and asking how to do .....because he need to do when am back to Thailand so he can cook alone. I am not be afraid enything maybe because am have a good luck everybody K Redbaron family kind and take a good care.

Though before came here 100% everyoung will thinking what will your husband family thinking about you. For me well every thing perfect i am happy K Redbaron have every thing i need No i didn't mean i want a big house big car or big money But i need heart to love and understand me need he to hold my hand forever and ever. K Redbaron always made me so happy.

Miss Red .

As winter starts to approach, we're tossing up the idea of checking out the snowfields. Of course she's never seen snow before, and is keen enough to see some. Surely it would be fun, but the temperature does bother her. We'll see what happens.

Red,

That is a real must !

I did that last year here in Belgium with my GF, the expression on her face and the play in the snow is just worth the trip.

Do it :p

BB

Hi Red

Happy all is going well :up:

No way my wife will go to the snow...too cold she says...her son can not wait to get to the snow however.

She has been in Sydney 4 years (CBD) so gives me directions when i get a bit lost :doah:

Also loves to shop...and shop.

Hope Miss red can get up to Sydney and have a look at this wonderful (warm) city.

:neener:

Red, take her to the snow. Log fire, bottle of red, :doah: chains, fog. She won't forget it.

Have great memories of the chef and his missers from my local Thai restaurant here getting caught up in a snow fight one January morning.

Thanks guys,

Yep, the snow's definately on the agenda after I relayed BB's message. The thought of the cold did scare her, but after realising there'd be photos and bragging rights once she gets home, she was sold.

Looking forward to it myself, haven't had a holiday anywhere cold for years.

Log fire, bottle of red, chains, fog.

Sounds fantastic. Bought some Red yesterday - delicious.

Guest lazyphil

I've got a picture of my mrs getting a cuddle from a young Brat Wurst seller at 2500M above sea level in the Italian Alps (Bormio it was) in an ice storm--she has a big smile on her face, not sure if it was the snow piled up around her that she liked or the handsum 20 year old keeping her warm in the blizzard!

Archived