M. Moore's "Fahreneit 9/11" wins at Cannes

pattaya127

Sorry BB ....I can't remember where I got that link. It was talking about Disney. Here's a similar article from the New York Post...

EISNER IN MOORE TROUBLE OVER FILM

By TIM ARANGO

May 25, 2004 -- Michael Moore's documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" could wind up costing Disney more than $100 million and go down as another Michael Eisner blunder.

The movie is poised to set a new record for highest-grossing documentary after its release in six weeks' time.

The stakes are higher - and hotter - between Miramax and Disney, its corporate parent, now that Moore has nabbed the Palme d'Or, the top prize at the Cannes Film Festival, for the Bush-bashing documentary.

The post-Cannes publicity for the film only intensifies the battle over who will distribute it in he United States, and if Miramax can get back in the mix.

Distribution rights for the film could go for $5 million to $10 million.

Sources say Disney informed Miramax more than a year ago that it couldn't distribute the film - and told Miramax not to finance the pic. Miramax, in turn, secured a bridge loan to produce the film for about $6 million.

Miramax previously acknowledged that Disney expressed unease about distributing the film, but both Moore and Miramax co-chief Harvey Weinstein have said publicly they hoped to change Disney's mind.

Yesterday, Disney and Miramax co-chiefs Bob and Harvey Weinstein were finalizing a deal to sell the film to the Weinsteins personally, who will then seek a distribution deal.

Moore's latest flick has set off a flurry of negotiations among other film companies seeking to distribute the movie in the U.S. Suitors include NBC Universal's Focus Features, New Market, Lions Gate and Paramount, say sources familiar with the matter.

Analysts say the movie could match or surpass the take from Moore's "Bowling For Columbine," the highest-grossing documentary of all time.

"Bowling For Columbine" took in $22 million domestically at the box office, and $40 million worldwide. Overall, including DVD and pay TV sales, it brought in some $120 million.

"I definitely think it could match 'Bowling For Columbine' because of its raised profile," said Anthony Kusich, an analyst at ReelSource. "A lot of people are saying that Disney investors should be mad at Eisner for turning down another lucrative opportunity."

A Miramax spokesman declined comment.

A Disney spokeswoman said, "There will be no monetary benefit from this movie to Miramax or Disney."

Eisner has come under sharp criticism for how he's managed affairs with both Miramax and Pixar Animation Studios.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

far more factual, revealing and interesting is the book 'house of bush, house of saud'. no sarcasm, but it goes into detail in the history of the cosy relationship of all players involved on all sides since the early seventies.

absolutely revolting.

read it.

I've read Unger's book. The Bush/Saud relationship is public knowledge. There is plenty of information out there. Too much maybe. Woodward's and now a new one by General Zinni. Soon it will be Powell. Chelabi hasn't even started to talk. The strange thing is no matter how much dirt you throw at Cheney, Rumsfeld, Perle, Wolfowitz et al none of it seems to stick. Bush supporters just say 'So what?'

I think it will be the same with Moore's movie. He's probably keeping it simple to reach the dumbed down mainstream. Liberals will love it but I doubt it will have much effect on hardcore Bush fans (they don't particularly like people who write books and make movies). The only thing that might get their attention would be gas at $5 a gallon...but they'll find a way to blame Clinton for it.

i am reading those books, and i simply can't understand how they can get away with it.

Who is stopping them? Nobody is taking any blame. Most people don't even see anything wrong with it. You have a perfect example of how the system works with the prison abuse (don't call it torture) scandal. First blame the photographs...if that doesn't work pull out a few scapegoats. Then investigate the whole issue to death until the public gets bored with it then make a big show of pulling down the prison. Bad prison. Gone now. Case closed. :)

i suppose you are right. :(

but i guess that unbelievable anger resulting from helplessly watching those bastards doing whatever they want is partly responsible for terrorism.

<but i guess that unbelievable anger resulting from helplessly watching those bastards doing whatever they want is partly responsible for terrorism. >

Well I know how I would feel if I was on the receiving end of that shit. The British probably called the American colonists 'terrorists' because they didn't wear red coats and stand in a neat line.

It's all in the language. First we went to Iraq to save the world from WMD. Then it was to liberate the Iraqi people from Saddam. Then it was to bring democracy to the Middle East. Lately it seems we will settle for 'a modicum of stability'. The 'terrorists' have been described as everything from a handful of Baathist thugs to jihad fanatics to lawless insurgents. Now we have a Baathist general running Fallujah and just today Bush says he 'agrees with Chirac's goals'. You gotta to be flexible I guess.

Of course the problem all along has been how to control the oilfields and pretend Iraqis are independent. No problem. Install a provisional government prior to full elections. The problem for the Iraqis is that there is no place in the government for anybody who wants the Americans out.

Does anybody else enjoy this stuff? :)

If you ever get a chance go to Port Blair in the Andaman Islands. The British used it as a penal colony when they were having problems with Indian 'terrorists'. The prison there makes Abu Ghraib look like Disneyworld.

Shall I get the first round of drinks in then, Chuck? Bet Fly is a lager man.

Seeing as we're getting away with it so far...what's the deal with the 30 June? A 'handover of sovereignty . Er...sorry. You can't hand over what isn't yours Bushy boy.

Er...I'll have a Corona if you're paying. I still haven't thought the June 30th handover through yet. It does look like the first move in an exit strategy but I need a bit more data.

I see we're negotiating with that nasty Sadr man now.

You & Fly will be the first to know when I get it all worked out. :)

flyonzewall said:

but i guess that unbelievable anger resulting from helplessly watching those bastards doing whatever they want is partly responsible for terrorism.

So the guys that sawed off Nicholas Berg's head with dull knife were justified because of what happened to those poor "innocents" in prison? I can't believe you stand there and attempt to justify them.

I would also buy you a beer then break the fucking bottle over your stupid fucking head.

TH

Archived