"mia noi" ???????????

From what I know, "mia noi" is.........

> A girl one is having an affair with........

> A girl who is kept ( sponsor ) by a married man.

> "mia noi" can be in anyone, ie, uni girl, office girl, etc, not necessarily a p4p girl.

questions....

> If a lady has a kept guy, is he also a "mia noi" ?

> Is it a "mia noi" only if money is involved somehow ? ie, one has few girls he sees besides his wife, but it's purely due to physical attraction and not money related.

> Do all "mia noi's" know the man/woman is married ?

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is.....the requirements for one to be labeled as a "mia noi". ::

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mia = a less formal word for wife

noi = minor or 'small'

work from there....

...i.e. a kept guy cannot be a 'mia'. a less formal word for husband is 'pua'.

sometimes you hear the expression 'pua farang', western husband.

it has a somewhat bad connotation; it's not very polite and it implies that there is an economic incentive. (or at least that's what I gather when the expression is used. but, there are plenty of folks around here that know the language and culture better than me and I'm sure they'll soon chime in here and correct me and/or add to the discussion ;) )

> A girl one is having an affair with........

Not specifically. Only if the guy is married (or is that what you were implying using the word affair?).

> A girl who is kept ( sponsor ) by a married man.

Yes.

"mia noi" can be in anyone, ie, uni girl, office girl, etc, not necessarily a p4p girl.

Yes.

> If a lady has a kept guy, is he also a "mia noi" ?

No. That would be peua noi, or minor husband. But the concept is the same.

> Is it a "mia noi" only if money is involved somehow ? ie, one has few girls he sees besides his wife, but it's purely due to physical attraction and not money related.

I would say yes, purely financial. The concept of a minor wife is that she gets all the support of the man, but without all of the rights of the wife. Hence the minor role. Think of it as a "mistress" or "kept woman" defined by The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition as "A woman who has a continuing sexual relationship with a usually married man who is not her husband and from whom she generally receives material support."

> Do all "mia noi's" know the man/woman is married?

99.99999% I am sure do. There may be one stupid one out there LOL!

+++++++

Slightly OT, I found this interesting when getting the definition for mistress:

English has no shortage of terms for women whose behavior is viewed as licentious, but it is difficult to come up with a list of comparable terms used of men. One researcher, Julia Penelope, stopped counting after she reached 220 such labels for women, both current and historical, but managed to locate only 20 names for promiscuous men. Murial R. Schultz found more than 500 slang terms for prostitute but could find just 65 for the male terms whoremonger and pimp. A further imbalance appears in the connotations of many of these terms. While the terms applying only to women, like tramp and slut, are almost always strongly negative, corresponding terms used for men, such as stud and Casanova, often carry positive associations. Curiously, many of the negative terms used for women derive from words that once had neutral or even positive associations. For instance, the word mistress, now mainly used to refer to a woman who is involved in an extramarital sexual relationship, originally served simply as a neutral counterpart to mister or master. The term madam, while still a respectful form of address, has had sexual connotations since the early 1700s and has been used to refer to the owner of a brothel since the early 1900s.

Cheers,

SD

Suadum wrote:

" The concept of a minor wife is that she gets all the support of the man, but without all of the rights of the wife."

One might add that she can have fewer duties too....surely childbearing would be an optional, dinner not on the table at eight might be overlooked etc.......

"English has no shortage of terms for women whose behavior is viewed as licentious, but it is difficult to come up with a list of comparable terms used of men."

Standard take on this would be that language reflects women being the wielders of the big stick when it comes to protection of the gene pool, both in terms of identity and health, hence their dalliances disturb the species... while homo erectus, himself, is just a sperm-sprayer in the wind in a larger scheme of things

gogo said:

Hmm.......being a "mia noi" doesn't sound so bad to me ;)

why don't you try it out then? there are lots of thai men who keep up their marriage as a front for society, but are more interested in some hanky panky with another bloke. i reckon it would not be too difficult for you to find a sponsor.

you might also consider to find some rich old women who is in the business to keep a youger man as "poa noi", and over the years i have known even several farang who took advantage of such a relationship.

flyonzewall said:

you might also consider to find some rich old women who is in the business to keep a youger man as "poa noi", and over the years i have known even several farang who took advantage of such a relationship.

LOL ! Got some #s and adds ?

hang out here long enough and you WILL get proposals. well, i don't get them anymore that much, not fresh enough anymore. ::

...one of the advantages of getting older in bangers.

you don't wanna be servant and toyboy of a saggy breast monster who loves to parade you around in public.

you don't wanna have some oldish woman in bright make up make advances to you in public. VERY embarassing!

What's all this fuss about mia nois?

A couple of years ago when I told my TG that I had no intention of leaving my wife, she simply inquired whether she could be my mia noi. I said, Öf course!" After which she asked me to buy her a fairly modest ring at MBK that she has worn ever since.

When we get together the mai noi always inquires after the health of my wife. Once she sent her a lace table cloth that she had made , which I thought to be a bit too much!

The mai noi arrangement is a very sensible one, especially when you consider that I am 42 years older than her....thus not likely to make a long term husband.

The mai noi is not allowed to sleep with other chaps. Once she does, she will lose her status. But, on the other hand, if she meets a nice young chap that she wants to marry, I would be the first to send the couple a decent wedding present. In the meantime the mia noi has learnt a reasonable amount of English, obtained a diploma from the best hairdressing school in the kingdom, and had a house built for herself back in Issan.

I love my mai noi, but in quite a different way from my wife.

Archived